Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cadence is a little low. i find im usually somewhere around 84-90. On hills im usually around 95. On some of my short training rides ive been making an effort to keep it at 100-105, but i cant keep it up for long. Any tips or training methods to bump my cadence up to around 100? Thanks

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Your current cadence is pretty normal. To ride at a higher cadence, I reccomend you ride at a higher cadence, lower effort. Once you're used to that cadence, you'll be able to do it at a higher effort. You'll likely resort back to whatever is most comfortable when you are really pushing the pace.

Silas

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Faster, Faster, Faster

Acutally I really mean patience. Make the change a gradual one.

Buy a computer with a cadence display.

Move your cadence up gradually. Rather than aim for 100 or 105 work on riding extended periods at 93. After a couple of weeks at 93 move on up to 96 for another few rides.

Check your bike fit. Is your saddle too high causing your hips to rock.

Is your pedal stroke smooth? Think about pedaling in circles, consider riding rollers or a fixed gear.

After you have gotten to the point where you can ride at 100 or 105 then you need to reevaluate what cadence is best for you. You may find that 90 is great for you or you may find you like the new 100+ cadence. Having lots of options gives you lots of choices.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Before you ride warm up on your trainer. Start in an easy gear (39x23) at 60 rpm and add 5 rpm each minute until 120 rpm. Take a two minute break and start again at 70 rpm and add 5 rpm every 15 seconds to 150 rpm. After this warm up you'll spin at 100 rpm with less effort.

·
Registered
896 Posts
why do you want a faste cadence?

you need to answer that question first. there is nothing wrong with a 90-95 cadence. are you finding that this cadence requires too much muscle tension to maintain? are you building LA too quickly at this cadence? finding the right cadence is a balance between minimizing muscle tension, and regulating your HR and breathing. you should spin fast enough to keep the pressure on your pedals as light as possible, but not so fast that your heart/breathing get unsustainable. with conditioning you can increase cadence to a faster rpm, but make sure you are fitting cadence to you physiology, and not just picking a number because you heard that Lance rides that rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts