1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAY #3..

I don't know if I can take it anymore. :confused: :confused:

has moved from the center of my head to the right side... :mad2:

not sure if some ibuprofen is acceptable in these cases.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The one thing caffeine can cure is caffeine withdrawal. Take some, you'll feel better. And the first taste is free.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andrea138 said:
If you wean yourself slowly, you can make the withdrawal process much less painful.

it's all or nothing.. no more alcohol and no more caffeine

i feel better now 2 hours later with 1 ibuprofen

no sense in going back to old ways

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I can speak from experience that weaning from caffeine works better than cold turkey.

Quitting two things at once might not be the best idea, either.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pretender said:
I can speak from experience that weaning from caffeine works better than cold turkey.

Quitting two things at once might not be the best idea, either.

Hmm, the one leaves me needing caff in the morning and the caff leaves me needing the alcohol at night.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
As with most things, moderation is the key. If you enjoy beverages with caffeine or alcohol why not just cut back a little? Me, I like coffee and tea mostly because of the taste, but the added kick in the morning is nice too. I just taper my consumption throughout the day so I don't have trouble sleeping. I almost never drink alcohol because I'm just not a huge fan of wine or beer, or hard liquor for that matter. I'd rather spend the extra calories on chocolate or some dessert.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
As with most things, moderation is the key. If you enjoy beverages with caffeine or alcohol why not just cut back a little? Me, I like coffee and tea mostly because of the taste, but the added kick in the morning is nice too. I just taper my consumption throughout the day so I don't have trouble sleeping. I almost never drink alcohol because I'm just not a huge fan of wine or beer, or hard liquor for that matter. I'd rather spend the extra calories on chocolate or some dessert.
Wow - I could have written those exact words.

So I'll ask the question. Why go off caffeine?

At least if you are male. I do understand that caffeine can cause problems for females. At least my wife's doc thinks so.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I'm actually starting to drink coffee (well, variations of it anyway - mocha etc) a little more now than I ever did.

I don't need it to start the day for sure since I never drink it in the mornings. It's usually around the mid afternoons when I have lunch (yeah, I eat pretty late. Maybe I should live in Spain. Seriously!) and also have an iced mocha, or an iced tea etc.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Coffee is good for my body and soul.

Why you quittin'?

That said, I drink coffee after dinner, and I fall asleep in about 30 seconds...

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I quit drinking just over 8 weeks ago. More for the heck of it than the fact that I was a raging alcoholic. I may drink some wine or something to be sociable, but I don't crave it.

Caffeine on the other hand is very hard to quit. I tried and succeeded for a few months a while back, but the urge is strong. I am at least trying to cut down, but it's hard. More power to you if you can quit!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
bas said:
By now I thought everyone who had any kind of aerobic exercise program at all would not be following the Adkins Diet. But I'm not here to argue that.

Their main problem with caffeine seems to be the effect when you stop caffeine. Well - I'm not stopping so that argument goes away.

The studies I believe are the ones I like. :D

http://velonews.com/article/84963

I realize they are talking about huge doses, but surely there is some benefit from one or two cups of coffee. Oddly enough, after I finish a ride, I then get a post ride drink/meal and inevitably make a pot of coffee. MMMmmmmm good.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I'm in the process of decreasing my caffeine intake. Not eliminating it but decreasing.. I switched to half cafe for my daily brew... Considering I've been drinking an entire pot of coffee a day for the past 6 years this has been a challenge. I have been very dehydrated for a long time and never knew it. I've doubled my water intake and I'm drinking half the caffeine. I feel better and my head isn't pounding. It's take a few weeks to get used to it though.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
............ I have been very dehydrated for a long time and never knew it. I've doubled my water intake and I'm drinking half the caffeine............
The relationship between caffeine and dehydration is also more myth than fact.

Anyone wanting to look for this information will have to google it.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
MerlinAma said:
The relationship between caffeine and dehydration is also more myth than fact.

Anyone wanting to look for this information will have to google it.

I talked to my doctor about this.. Drinking as much coffee as I do can dehydrate you.. however drinking enough fluid after will balance you out.

Coffee isn't going to drain your fluid reserves a ton but add in cycling and some booze once in a while and you're prone to a lot of fluid loss.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.