Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard that the Eilte Patao are good and never cough up the bottle. Only have issue on the down tube, standard cage tosses a water bottle eventually, even with bending it in. Recomendations? Many similar designs to the Elite Patao. Standard size please (74).

Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Taxc Tao

I have had these on two bikes for over two years and have never thrown a bottle. They're light, cheap and work great. They can get a little tight when the bottles get gunked up in the rain, though.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
I've seen bottles bounce out of Tacx, watch which bottles you use I guess.

Second the Elite Patao in the Mag/Al. You can bend it tight, rubber mounts grasp the bottle, no black aluminum oxide messing things up.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have Elite Patao cages on one bike and Reynolds carbon on another and haven't lost a bottle from either. Can't say the same for the RavX carbon cages on the TT bike. I use 24 oz. bottles which are a little longer than the standard.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had Tacx Tao cages and didn't like them. They are too tight and scrape up the bottles. Aesthetically, I don't care for them either. I now use the Elite Patao cages and they have been really nice. I also like the Elite bottles.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Tacx Tao cages are GREAT -- cheap, durable, and hold bottles snugly without throwing them. It's also really easy to "find the cage" no-looking.

However, you've gotta use Tacx bottles, or, I hear, Elite bottles work fine too, but some other generic bottles I've had don't fit the Tao well, rattle around to much, and are annoying.

With basic wire-cages, you can just kinda bend them into shape, you know?

·
Registered
778 Posts
King also makes a stainless steel model that is less than $15. I've got them on my mt. bike, couldn't be happier with them. I use Tacx Tao's on the road bikes. The only complaint I've ever had with them is that Polar bottles are a very tight fit on them. Otherwise the other bottles I've used, (generics mainly) have fit great. I used to have those funky looking Specialized cages, and they worked well too. Rib cages, that's what they were called.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
X513 said:
Have heard that the Eilte Patao are good and never cough up the bottle. Only have issue on the down tube, standard cage tosses a water bottle eventually, even with bending it in. Recomendations? Many similar designs to the Elite Patao. Standard size please (74).

Thanks
Ask on MTBR. They would hit more bumps in one ride than most roadies hit in a lifetime. - TF

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Tacx Tao is great.

I had some Trek brand bottles that would rattle around and annoy the crap out of me. I picked up some cheap Performance bottles and they fit like a glove, not too tight and no rattling.

Upon further inspection I found that the Performance bottles were made by Specialized. I know Performance has a new bottle out (the one with the huge cap) and I don't know if those fit the same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah yes,

TurboTurtle said:
Ask on MTBR. They would hit more bumps in one ride than most roadies hit in a lifetime. - TF
Been riding MTB since '87. Yep, cages on MTBs throw bottles also. Only use cages now for holding my night light battery for night riding, but they have straps to secure. Ride with a CamelBak Mule now with probably 5 pounds + of water, gear etc. for those epics. Silly MTbers.

I bend my down tube cage evey road ride. Lost 3 bottles over last 6 rides on speedy down hills. Whether ahead or behind, not stopping to pick them up!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My Tacx Tao cages fit most larger volume bottles really well, but my bikes are small and i prefer smaller bottles---which it does a terrible job with. Get Tacx or Elite bottles if you want a smaller size, because the Tacx doesn't hold small Specialized and other common brands very well at all. If I didnt like the look, I'd get rid of these.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.