Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some cages for my new bike. I currently use Tacx Tao cages which I like a lot but was wondering if there were any others out there that are just as dependable and work well. I would be perfectly happy getting more of those but was just curious.
Some of the carbon stuff out there are super expensive and I don't think are as durable. I like the weight and price of the Taos.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well....

My latest build is a 2009 Kestrel Evoke SL. I had put a set of Tacx cages on it, but I just did not like the way the looked. So, I decided to try something different. I bought a pair of the new Specialized Zee cage. CLICK HERE. I really like them!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I like the Elite Ciussi Pateo. Magnesium alloy. Built like a tank, holds your bottles, won't break, bottles won't rattle. Around $23.00. Black. I did buy some silver chrome models, but they are a little on the gaudy side.

Or if you just want a cage that works without breaking the bank-Blackburn Comp. They have been around forever. $4.95 black or silver.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I also like King Cages.
Well made, strong, and secure bottle that is easy to remove/insert.
Never launched a bottle and the cages don't mark up your bottles.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess some of it is about aesthetics too. I'm going to be putting these cages on my new white orbea orca and I haven't quite figured out if I should go with carbon cages or just stick with something that works...my wallet is leaning towards Tacx. I noticed even the Pros are still using them. Those king cages look nice but I'm not sure if they would look good on oversized carbon tubes.

Anybody make white cages?

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Carbon cages are not fragile and definitely stronger than the Tacx cages since I have broke a few and so have team mates. I now have BPT 9 gram carbon cages on my bike for the past 5 years. Probably go another five years.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I just picked up a set of Bontrager cages. They're composite (which I assume is French for "plastic" :)), light, and seem to hold a bottle pretty well thus far.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Juan, what keeps the bottles from sliding down and through those cages?

Okay, this is my lone persistent bike issues (at the moment)...

I have a size small compact frameset and I'm using Tacx Tao cages. I use the Camelbak insulated bottles for spring/summer/fall. They are snug but fit. The issue is that the bottle on the ST has limited clearance (big bottle, like 24oz.) It is very hard to get in/out. I can do it, but normally smack the underside of my TT. Nice new carbon bike, would rather avoid. Plus, when riding in packs it is annoying to deal with.

So...
1) I think I might need a side entry cage. Seen Arundel and Bontrager ones. But, both are in the mid $50s and that is a bit steep for me for a cage.

2) Do any of you have small frames and this issue and just use a regular cage with success? I'm thinking a cage with a shorter bottom tab to top length might work (the Tao is around 13 cm's)

3) Is anyone using a side entry cage on the ST and a regular one on the DT? I wonder if this will look terrible and might get me a ticket from the gear coordination police;)

(I know Arundel makes a lefty/right set, but that would be over $100 for cages!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1 for Arundel cages...

I have the Arundel regular cage on the DT and side loading cage on the ST for my 52cm Trek Madone and it works beautifully with the Camelbak chill bottles or any other water bottle. Both cages are very solid and secure; no drops, rattles. And the combo cages look fine together, IMO...but then again, it doesn't matter to me what others think of my equipment and accessories. Ride what you love and love what you ride.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
danielc said:
Anybody make white cages?
Bontrager has the 38 gram ("composite=plastic) Race Lite that retails for about $15.

I have 'em on one bike and I must say...nice cage. Easy in-and-out and never launched a bottle.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
tnsdoc said:
+1 for Arundel cages...

I have the Arundel regular cage on the DT and side loading cage on the ST for my 52cm Trek Madone and it works beautifully with the Camelbak chill bottles or any other water bottle. Both cages are very solid and secure; no drops, rattles. And the combo cages look fine together, IMO...but then again, it doesn't matter to me what others think of my equipment and accessories. Ride what you love and love what you ride.
Ooh, this is GREAT to know. I have a similarly sized frame and have an issue with the ST. And I also use those bottles.

And that is also good to know that they look alright together. Yeah, function over form, but it is always nice to have a good lookin' bike:D

Now to start saving my pennies for $100 worth of cages!

Thanks for this info!

oh...and I also just came across some Elite Ciussi side loading cages, but I can't decide how they'd look on my frame. But, now I know of at least three companies making side entry cages.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I like Tacx Tao cages. I think they're the best price/performance out there. That said, I also like the Cannondale GT40 cage. Great minimalist design that really holds bottles, is durable, light, cheap and used to come in colors. I know my LBS still has some in colors and I know they used to come in white. I use them on my mountain bikes and they hold up to the rigors of XC riding/racing quite well. Very secure and durable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Richard said:
Bontrager has the 38 gram ("composite=plastic) Race Lite that retails for about $15.

I have 'em on one bike and I must say...nice cage. Easy in-and-out and never launched a bottle.

I have the same ones and I love them. $15 bucks, easy to clean, nice fit holds bottle tight, and look pretty sharp. The white is a pearl white ( nice):D

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
nayr497 said:
Juan, what keeps the bottles from sliding down and through those cages?

Okay, this is my lone persistent bike issues (at the moment)...

I have a size small compact frameset and I'm using Tacx Tao cages. I use the Camelbak insulated bottles for spring/summer/fall. They are snug but fit. The issue is that the bottle on the ST has limited clearance (big bottle, like 24oz.) It is very hard to get in/out. I can do it, but normally smack the underside of my TT. Nice new carbon bike, would rather avoid. Plus, when riding in packs it is annoying to deal with.

So...
1) I think I might need a side entry cage. Seen Arundel and Bontrager ones. But, both are in the mid $50s and that is a bit steep for me for a cage.

2) Do any of you have small frames and this issue and just use a regular cage with success? I'm thinking a cage with a shorter bottom tab to top length might work (the Tao is around 13 cm's)

3) Is anyone using a side entry cage on the ST and a regular one on the DT? I wonder if this will look terrible and might get me a ticket from the gear coordination police;)

(I know Arundel makes a lefty/right set, but that would be over $100 for cages!)

Thanks!
They friction fit with tapered bottles. I too use either Polar or Camelbak insulated bottles. Both happen to be tapered and work very well with the cages. I do need to wax them every week or two to make sure the bottles slip out easily.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Richard said:

Yep. Those are the ones I just bought. LBS had them on sale for under $10.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts