Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot of news lately about the calcium depletion and bone loss of athletes that par-take in low/non-impact sports such as cycling. I'm convinced I need a supplement, but I've heard from different folks on what type of calcium to buy. Perhaps I just forgot the details or misheard their advice - still I'm a bit confused.

Specifically, what's up with "calcium citrate" vs. straight-up calcium. Then there is calcium from "calcium carbonate". Lastly, I recall hearing "don't get calcium derived from oyster shells", etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Food

The latest issue of Adventure Cyclist magazine has an article on Ca by big time sports nutritionist Nancy Clark. Her recommendation is very clearly to get your Ca from food, particularly from low-fat dairy products such as milk and yogurt. Some cheeses are low in fat as well. I just add about 1/2 cup of non-fat powdered milk to my breakfast cereal, giving me the equivalent of 3 cups of milk for breakfast. A cup of yogurt for lunch plus regular dietary Ca sources and I'm more than good to go. Other foods include broccoli and Ca supplemented OJ (which I suppose is close to your Ca citrate choice). It should come as no surprise that Ca in food is much more bio-available than that from ground up sea shells or rocks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sense/sensibility

Kerry,

Thanks for the advice. I've always appreciated your sensible back-to-basics approach to nutrition. Much of what we need can be found in the the food we eat if we just choose to eat the right foods. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that and be given new ideas to work out a solution that works with my sometimes choatic schedule. The lowfat powdered milk idea is a great solutionand I'm heading out the grocery store to get a supply for my office. I usually ride to work (60 minutes each way) and this will be a nice addition to my morning hot cereal routine. Yogurt for lunch .. perfect.

Thanks again,

Sherpa

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
sherpa said:
There's been a lot of news lately about the calcium depletion and bone loss of athletes that par-take in low/non-impact sports such as cycling. I'm convinced I need a supplement, but I've heard from different folks on what type of calcium to buy. Perhaps I just forgot the details or misheard their advice - still I'm a bit confused.

Specifically, what's up with "calcium citrate" vs. straight-up calcium. Then there is calcium from "calcium carbonate". Lastly, I recall hearing "don't get calcium derived from oyster shells", etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You'd be better off just taking in more dairy--skim milk, cheese and yogurt and the like. Bone density is not gonna really be helped by Calcium supplementation alone. I'd think about doing some weight bearing activity like weightlifting or jogging. That alone will do way more that Calcium supplements will towards keeping bone density. Also avoid Colas and drinks with phosphate in them as they can leach Calcium from your bones if you drink a lot of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts