Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings

when I ride hard (head wind, climbs) I get tension or a slight post-ride pain in calf muscles of both legs that last for a few days. It is right in the middle (thickest part) of the calf.

Is this a symptom of anything like saddle height? I pedal "heel-down style" under load.

thanks

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
acid_rider said:
greetings

when I ride hard (head wind, climbs) I get tension or a slight post-ride pain in calf muscles of both legs that last for a few days. It is right in the middle (thickest part) of the calf.

Is this a symptom of anything like saddle height? I pedal "heel-down style" under load.

thanks
If I had to place the blame somewhere, I'd think about cleats too far forward, increasing the leverage against the calves. Just a guess, though.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possible but not likely

danl1 said:
If I had to place the blame somewhere, I'd think about cleats too far forward, increasing the leverage against the calves. Just a guess, though.
thanks. I eas considering this but my cleat is already all the way back on Shimano R151 size 45 shoe, it cant be moved any further. My centre of ball of foot is currently a few mm (5-10mm?) in front on pedal axle centre.

Keep them coming.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i get it too, not real pain though, just tightness. ive tried moving my cleats back a little and it seemed to help, but really i think just getting them stronger and stretching have helped me most.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It's very difficult to make a seat height opinion without seeing your position on the bike. However, in very crude terms, saddle too high means your calf muscles are doing more of the work. Saddle too low, your quads/thighs are doing more of the work. If you make saddle height adjustments, keep the changes small and gradual, no more than 2-3 mm at a time. Radical changes can lead to injuries.

·
Registered
137 Posts
acid_rider said:
greetings

thanks
This might be an obvious question, but...

Does stretching help?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all, more info

thanks for all replies. yes, stretching does help.

a bit of background which led to my question.

I had my saddle up too high which caused me a little soreness in hams and upper calf of both legs. So I gradually lowered it down by 5mm (in total) and now after 2 weeks on lower saddle my hams and upper calf both are ok but now the tension moved a little further down the calf to the middle (thick) section of it (both legs). Does it mean I need to lower saddle some more by -2mm or just give it more time to get used to it?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
acid_rider said:
I had my saddle up too high which caused me a little soreness in hams and upper calf of both legs. So I gradually lowered it down by 5mm (in total) and now after 2 weeks on lower saddle my hams and upper calf both are ok but now the tension moved a little further down the calf to the middle (thick) section of it (both legs). Does it mean I need to lower saddle some more by -2mm or just give it more time to get used to it?
Yes, maybe, and no. Again, impossible to tell the difference between position, your fitness, any oddness about your pedal stroke etc. over the internet. I'd go ahead and lower your saddle and see what happens. 5mm isn't a big adjustment overall. 5cm and I'd be concerned. Lowering your saddle won't hurt anything (raising it too much can) so try it for a while and see how it is.

I've been noting how low the pros seem to be running their saddles these days. The typical 30 degree angle of the upper leg to the lower leg is totally out the window with them right now. I'm curious why.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worry about my knees

wasfast said:
Yes, maybe, and no. Again, impossible to tell the difference between position, your fitness, any oddness about your pedal stroke etc. over the internet. I'd go ahead and lower your saddle and see what happens. 5mm isn't a big adjustment overall. 5cm and I'd be concerned. Lowering your saddle won't hurt anything (raising it too much can) so try it for a while and see how it is.

I've been noting how low the pros seem to be running their saddles these days. The typical 30 degree angle of the upper leg to the lower leg is totally out the window with them right now. I'm curious why.
I am very paranoid about hurting my knees/quads if I lower saddle by another -2mm making it -7mm in total. And perhaps too soon to do so, after -5mm reduction already, after only 2 weeks (4*3 hour rides)?

thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
calf craming under hard riding

this has happend to me twice in the last two weeks, neither time during any of the races. but under really hard group rides while pushing my self too hard. should i attempt to lower my seat a little more. OR eat bananas.

they would cramp so hard that last night when i would be on my upstroke while pedaling they would be spazaming, and locked tight.

anyone else had this happen, and if so how did you make it go away

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
While many recommend more potassium for cramps, my wife's PT doctor said more Vitamin E. I had some pretty severe calf cramps about a month ago so started taking the Vitamine E and it's definitely helped.

As far as acid rider's concern about having moved the seat height 7mm, I seriously doubt that's enough change to cause any injury. I normally give myself 1-2 rides and make a decision about the height. This is moving around a nominal, not starting from scratch so I know right away whether it's going the right direction or not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I am an unfortunate experienced victim in this area....

My cramps in my calves and quads actually began when I was a kid.
Whenever I would swim, my calves would lock up with spasms.
back then they hurt, but not so bad. As I got older though, the
pain increased. I didn't cycle back then, and didn't know too much
about proper hydration and stretching.

When I began cycling in 2004, I had an episode so violent, my vision was blurry
from the pain. It happened again last year in my claves and quads, in separate rides.

After it happened in 04, I began to hydrate more -before, during and post ride.
I also take Potassium-Magnesium supplements. As well as Vitamin E, and Calcium.
Since last year I stretch more after the rides. But this year, I could feel the tightness
coming back. I went to a PT/Massage theripast and basically I was told
that from all the previous cummulative muscles damage I incurred, fluid that
rushes to the muscle injury has hardened and made my tissue/fiber knotted.

So, now after each ride I use heat and self massage on my calves and quads.
Stretch every night before bed and a few minutes when I wake in the am.
I also will start to get a therapeutic massage once a month or more if I can.

So far, the tightness has been slightly subsiding and no cramps or spasms on rides. Hopefully, between these techniques and more frequent massages, the tightness and spasms will stop altogether.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.