Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted in the old forum about my seven vs calfee bike choices and received some great responses and advice...since that time I went to a shop that carries both and has some decent history with each company. The calfee is a beautiful bike, and for my $$ seems to be the way to go. I have also been convinced that it is more $ effective to use the majority of my ultegra (8 speed) components on the frame (luna cross).

I was wondering what opinons you guys had concerning fork choices and cranks for a clydesdale rider... thanks

kmac 76

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'd suggest an MTB Crank (XTR or whatever). as a fellow Clydesdale I choose strength and reliability over weight. 8 speed is an excellent choice (stronger chain, less likely to clog and gunk up), if it's Ultegra what cassette and rear der.? I'd suggest a 12-27 if they make it in 8. as a bigger guy you will need slightly lower gears than our featherweight brothers and sisters. a standard 48/38 12-25 ain't going to cut it. Get an MTB Crank with a 46/36 or 46/34 and as big of a rear cluster it can handle. For 8 speed I prefer XT midcage rear der. (circa 1997, IMHO shimanos best) and a 11-28 or 11-30 XT 8 speed rear cassette.
Good luck on the Calfee, personally for the $$ amount you could build, Frankenbike, etc.. 2 cx rigs for the price of that frame. If you plan on racing and it's gunky and nasty where you race you will quickly learn that 2 good bikes beats the hell out of 1 super swank one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Please post a pic

When you get it done.I have a Luna road bike and it is great.I ordered a Dragonfly today and I promise I won't be taking that offroad!!

Is your frame disc specific?If so,I would tend to go with their ti disc brake fork.,If $ are an issue,I had a Dimension steel disc fork and it rode good,but was pretty heavy.I really like the Alpha Q carbon I have and Reynolds has just introduced a carbon canti fork.Most here are afraid of carbon forks but I trust them OK.I bent a steel Gunnar fork and prefer the feel of carbon.The most beautiful cross racer I have ever seen rides an Alpha Q and I wanna look as good as she does:)

Dan the hillbilly

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the option of pulling xtr and some xt off of my mountain bike to use on the frame, if the parts will be more practical. I am going up to the bike shop again in a week or so, with both bikes to see what parts we can frankenbike together and get some other measurements done. I have not decided on discs yet or not, nice option perhaps, but I am not convinced that they are a nescessity. This bike is going to become my primary ride, because it fits the majority of riding options in my area. ie...I cam commute to work on it (4-5 miles one way) and I have an unbelievable range of tow paths, and canal roads that are long, hilly and dirt. I am not looking at building a racing machine, it is going to be more of a utility-go-anywhere-handle-it-all ride.

dan -- what color - fade do you have on yours?

atp -- the numbers for the cassette & cranks sound just about right, thanks again for your input

kmac

·
Registered
165 Posts
the reynolds cross fork is apparently not going to be available until "next cross season" even though it is on their web site now. i was inquiring about it and one of the retailers that said they're going to carry it got this feedback from reynolds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Colors

The Luna is Cobalt blue,no fade.It looks Navy in soft light and then turns bright and translucent when the sun hits it.

The Dragonfly will be clearcoat only,again no fade.

The most durable finish is nude,but not my cup of tea.

Having had both types of brakes,discs are better brakes but bring some conditions with them.If you want multiple wheelsets,you must buy extra rotors and-possibly-may have to shim the rotors on some of the wheelsets to align in the caliper.If you have no existing wheels then this is probably not an issue.

I had 5 other non disc wheelsets I could use and therefore went back to canti's.They are good enough for the riding I do and save a little weight.I do most muddy riding on my disc brake MTB so rim wear is not a problem on the cross bike.

hope this helps

Dan

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
Calfee are a super nice group of people.

I highly recommend them. And I wish I could get one of their cross bikes.

Good luck.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
kmac76 said:
I do have the option of pulling xtr and some xt off of my mountain bike to use on the frame, if the parts will be more practical. I am going up to the bike shop again in a week or so, with both bikes to see what parts we can frankenbike together and get some other measurements done. I have not decided on discs yet or not, nice option perhaps, but I am not convinced that they are a nescessity. This bike is going to become my primary ride, because it fits the majority of riding options in my area. ie...I cam commute to work on it (4-5 miles one way) and I have an unbelievable range of tow paths, and canal roads that are long, hilly and dirt. I am not looking at building a racing machine, it is going to be more of a utility-go-anywhere-handle-it-all ride.

dan -- what color - fade do you have on yours?

atp -- the numbers for the cassette & cranks sound just about right, thanks again for your input

kmac
I was running a 34/44 most of the season. Then again, I was also running a 12/26t cassette. On the flatter sections, I found myself on the big ring where before I was further down the cassette in the small ring.

Come to think of it, I did one race, then my back started acting up so badly I couldn't get the bike off the ground without pain.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts