Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I could look this up on my own, and probably will, but maybe some people can help me.

I am hopefully soon going to be able to buy a frame that I actually want (not simply what I can afford). I have mostly ridden steel frames (for no other reason than that I like the ride, etc). But with all the carbon frames out there now, the question that I have is: What is the life expectancy of a carbon frame? About that of an aluminum frame or longer, more like a steel or ti frame?

* Yes, I also know that it depends on the type of riding, etc. Just in general.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
No answer

lousylegs said:
* Yes, I also know that it depends on the type of riding, etc. Just in general.
If you know that it "depends on the type of riding, etc." does that knowledge extend to the realization that there can be a huge difference in how the frame is made? Wall thicknesses, layup/fiber type/fiber density/degree of fiber wetting for CF, and the alloys used and the wall thicknesses for metal frames. Add in the variations in quality from company to company, and you have the classic unanswerable question. It's like asking how much a piece of string weighs.

The only guide is that superlight frames are most likely to have a shorter life than heavier ones.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Answer

You will want to buy a new frame way before a good frame of any material wears out. It's the looks, the bling that wears out the fastest, and your frame will probably be considered lard-ass heavy as time passes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Similar question here. I bought the steel bike I ride today in '93. Probably has 4K miles on it, mostly when I was 18-19 and then I stopped riding it for the most part. Several hundred of 'em are off-road (it's a hybrid). I'm pretty confident I could hop on it and put another 4K on it w/o any issues - feels as tight and ready as the day I bought it. Even though it's "lard-ass heavy," which it was then anyway being a cross. What if I bought a carbon frame or an aluminum one with carbon stays (more likely on my budget) -- could I ride it a fair bit for a year or two and then dust it off a decade later and do it again? Not saying I would, but I'm doing that right now with this one and have plans for it after I get a road bike, since it's a hybrid.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Closet fatigue

Zaurusman said:
What if I bought a carbon frame or an aluminum one with carbon stays (more likely on my budget) -- could I ride it a fair bit for a year or two and then dust it off a decade later and do it again?
Bikes, or any mechanical devices, don't wear out sitting in the closet. Unless it was corroding, you could put on new rubber, oil the chain, and ride any bike from 10 years ago.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Bikes, or any mechanical devices, don't wear out sitting in the closet. Unless it was corroding, you could put on new rubber, oil the chain, and ride any bike from 10 years ago.

Or 25 years ago, I still only ride the bike I bought in 1981.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts