Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions;

1. What effect does dieting have on your carbohydrate storage? - eg. during a 500 cal deficit with 1-1,5g protein/kg, 0,75-1g fat/kg and rest carbs

2. What is the common advise on cal deficit when one has to loose weight during season?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think I have read in Friel and Matt Fitzgerald books that the best time to lose weight (assuming you mean body fat not muscle mass) is during the base period as if you have not lost it by then your increased excerise intensity will mean you are burning more carbs than fat for fuel and a defecit will lead to the loss of lean muscle mass which is equally bad for performance.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Basically negative energy / carb intake does not (really) impact muscle glycogen storage. The impact on glycogen storage will come from using it during an exercise bout (with more being oxidized during higher intensities) and then not replacing it.

As suggested, the Racing Weight book is pretty good. Check out Bob SeeBohar's nutrition periodization as well.

I have found personal success with the philosophy that you are recovering from or preparing for a workout. Basically if you need glycogen available for the next workout (performance, high intensity, long and mod to high intensity) be sure to consume a slight positive energy intake and focus on post work-out carbs.

If you are doing base, LSD, or day off, focus on slight neg EB and more on adequate protein (from good sources), good fats (and actually quite a few of them), and carbs from vegetables and fruit (if you need them).

So you under fuel slightly the workouts / days which do not require optimal performance and you slightly over fuel the workouts/day where performance is more important.

I can easily get down to 7.8% (measured via DXA) using this. I actually tend to gain some fat mass back during my 'racing' part of the year because my training volume drops, and I am ingesting a lot more carbs to be sure that my high intense workouts are adequately fueled.......

Plus always periodizing your nutrition is a 'diet' and I personally don't like to keep it up all year. CX season (for me) is typically about drinking beer and maintaining fitness. And refreshing the brain for another road season.

2. about 300 calories on neg days. This means weight comes off more slowly, but performance does not suffer (IME).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.