Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a program on my phone to calculate miles and calories burned. The only thing I haven’t done for it is hook up a heart rate monitor to help.

I know that it is more work to ride an MTB that it is a road bike. I’m currently riding an MTB till I get my road bike this winter and am only riding on roads. My question; it has a section that you can input MTB or cycling sport, transportation to calculate calories.

When you input MTB you burn about 1000 more calories.

What would you guy’s set it on.

And don’t tell me to get a computer, because I’ll get one when I get my road bike.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Does it have a setting for space travel?

Forget calories burned, control calories with your diet and forget about what you are "burning". Calories burned calculators are inherently innacurate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've cut myself back to 2500 calories a day to cut the weight. The main reason is that there is a monthly contest with the web site that has the program. There is a heated discussion about where you should have your settings and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they thought was fair.

·
Bsilver
30 Posts
Calories

I understand where you are coming from..it is important to me to know how many calories I burn on a ride. I have lost 90Lbs since Aug of 2009. you must imput your current weight 33% less than it really is in order to get a close estimate, if you use your real weight you will find it to be really way off. This is not perfect but generally close within 200 calories. I record for my records what ever the reading is using the 33% less weight input then subtract 200 calories. I have checked it against my polar heart rate monitor which does a calorie calculation based on HR. I use a Garmin 305 on my bike without the HR monitor to get the calories burned during a ride.

bsilver

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
evilduc996 said:
I use a program on my phone to calculate miles and calories burned. The only thing I haven’t done for it is hook up a heart rate monitor to help.

I know that it is more work to ride an MTB that it is a road bike. I’m currently riding an MTB till I get my road bike this winter and am only riding on roads. My question; it has a section that you can input MTB or cycling sport, transportation to calculate calories.

When you input MTB you burn about 1000 more calories.

What would you guy’s set it on.

And don’t tell me to get a computer, because I’ll get one when I get my road bike.

Calories are a measure of power output, like if you race up a flight of stairs with a stop watch you can measure your horsepower (1 HP = lifting 770 lbs up one foot in one second I think).

If you're on pavement, set it to "road" knobby tires make for more resistance, but I don't think enough for a ride unless it's a long ride.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts