Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did a moderatley intense solo ride for about 100 minutes. I was curious as to how many calories I had burned so I found this calorie counter online that took into account my speed, weight and duration. It spit out that I had burned around 1500 Kcal, which seems high. I weigh 160 lbs, and if I had to guess, I'd say I averaged around 200 watts.

So does this seem right? I was thinking I probably burned around 1000 Kcal.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
I'd say I averaged around 200 watts.

200 watts would require about 175kcal of energy but since you're somewhere between 20-25% effecient you need to multiple that by 4 to 5, so somewhere between 700 to 875 kcal per hour.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
My Polar usually puts me at about 600 calories an hour for a moderate ride-- and up to 900 for an intense one. This supports your theory of 1000 for a 100 minute ride. Those calorie counters are skewed to promote people exercising---

BuckeyeBiker said:
Yesterday I did a moderatley intense solo ride for about 100 minutes. I was curious as to how many calories I had burned so I found this calorie counter online that took into account my speed, weight and duration. It spit out that I had burned around 1500 Kcal, which seems high. I weigh 160 lbs, and if I had to guess, I'd say I averaged around 200 watts.

·
Local Bigfoot Expert
441 Posts
Doctor Who said:
If you're pushing it hard, 10 calories per minute seems to be the going rate. 12-14 if you're killing some hills.
I went to a good amount of effort to come up with a correction factor for the crap that my Garmin spits out as far as calories burn go. What do you know...it is just a tad over the 10 calories per minute rule. That is pretty easy to remember, instead of my Garmin x 0.58 value!

Another rule of thumb that appears in numerous places is 100 cal/mile for running.

-GT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.