Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried them on at the Oakley store, the fit was amazing, and I almost did the custom pair when I found out the came with a second set of lenses (I didn't know this)
Still am not ready to shell out $280 beans when my current glasses serve me just fine.

Wants vs needs...wants vs needs...grrrrrrr :mad2:

· Registered
5,480 Posts
And now you're here at your computer, with your comparatively-plain, ordinary, uninteresting, normal glasses.

I also would've opted out of the purchase despite how good they'd feel and the fact I've had "Jawbone fever" as well. I'm one who's not lucky with sunglasses in terms of making them last, be ****ing myself if it still happened with those.

· Don't Tread on Me
994 Posts
I was really wanting a pair for the last few weeks, until I went into my local Cabella's and found a pretty nice pair of cheapos for $25.

I probably have over $1500 in various name brand sunglasses, and to be honest with you, I really like the view through these less expensive ones.

· Registered
339 Posts
What I like best about my Oakley Radars is the hydrophobic lenses. Not sure if the Jawbones have them, but water literally rolls right off these guys.

Oakley lenses are ANSI Z87.1 certified, meaning they had to undergo a pretty severe ballistic test in order for the lens to be manufactured. When I wear Oakleys, I know that if a pebble gets kicked up and nails the lense, my eyes will be safe. I don't feel that way with other sunnies, even though they might work just as well.

· Folsom City Blues...
8,401 Posts
Polycarbonate is pretty much bullet proof.

Peace :cool:

· Registered
158 Posts
$280!! Fer riding Glasses? That price is too high!

Morris Buttermaker said:
Tried them on at the Oakley store, the fit was amazing, and I almost did the custom pair when I found out the came with a second set of lenses (I didn't know this)
Still am not ready to shell out $280 beans when my current glasses serve me just fine.

Wants vs needs...wants vs needs...grrrrrrr :mad2:
This doesn't sit well with Marshall Lucky

· Registered
1,365 Posts
I took the Jawbone plunge, albeit after detroying my last set of Oakleys in a nasty cycling accident. Not only are the Oakley's extremely comfortable and with excellent clarity, I an honestly say that the last pair saved my eyes in my fall. the lenses were gouged but stayed intact. Better the glasses then my cornea. The new jawbones are fantastic. If you can afford them, go for it!

· Registered
77 Posts
I just switched to the Straight Jackets after wearing the same pair of Half Jackets for seven years. Peoples talk about how big of a rip off Oakleys are but I spent $180 seven years ago and replaced the lenses three times. That's $420 of over seven years which is $60 a year. Just like the price of cheap glasses. My frames finally developed a small crack from removing the lenses to many times. I called Oakley and they said they would replace the cracked frame for $30. I'm tired of wearing the same over priced piece of junk sunglasses after seven years. I own a swimming pool cleaning and repair company so I'm looking at water all day and need good optics. I've worn some other cheap glasses I had in my truck as back ups and nothing compares to the Oakley lenses.

· wots...uh the deal?
1,382 Posts
Dang, my M-Frames from '99 are still fine. I'm old. Only got them because the wife works in an eye glass place and got them for cost...divide that by 13 years...

There is cheap stuff, there is expensive stuff...and then there is value. (and there is disposability..)

· Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
azpoolguy said:
I just switched to the Straight Jackets after wearing the same pair of Half Jackets for seven years. Peoples talk about how big of a rip off Oakleys are but I spent $180 seven years ago and replaced the lenses three times. That's $420 of over seven years which is $60 a year. Just like the price of cheap glasses. My frames finally developed a small crack from removing the lenses to many times. I called Oakley and they said they would replace the cracked frame for $30. I'm tired of wearing the same over priced piece of junk sunglasses after seven years. I own a swimming pool cleaning and repair company so I'm looking at water all day and need good optics. I've worn some other cheap glasses I had in my truck as back ups and nothing compares to the Oakley lenses.
Puts things in perspective a bit, you only have two eyes and I wouldn't be able to work without em let alone live a happy life...last eye exam i had my doctor told me I had 20/10 vision and told me to protect my eyes, they're valuable lol

Maybe when my bonus comes around I'll grab a pair.

· Registered
336 Posts
Will insurance help purchase them? If you get one set of glasses a year, why wouldn't they? (Duh! US Insurance)

I'll be looking at them when I get eye health insurance again. Currently I wear Performance sunglasses and they work ok.

· Registered
133 Posts
Someone mentioned hydrophobic lenses. Rainex (less than $10 at Pep Boys) applied to any lenses = hydrophobic lenses. My wife recently left her $230 Maui Jim sunglasses (which I encouraged her to buy) in a rental car in another city. I took her to Big 5 (we're in LA - not sure if this is a national chain), where she selected a pair of Realm polarized sunglasses for $40 or less. We tested the Realm sunglasses back to back in bright sun with the same Maui Jim glasses (I have a pair). I could not tell the difference! In a blind test, I would have to guess. As far as I'm concerned, sunglasses must be polarized to eliminate glare. But spending much more than $50 is buying the marketing (i.e. Jawbones, etc.), and not better glasses.

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
I just got a set of pearl white with black jaws and white pivots. Iridium yellow polarized lenses and black iridium lenses.

They rule.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.