Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
Has anyone used one of these? I'm thinking of getting one for HHH coming up. Not many useful reviews online so I thought I would check here.

Camel Bak Racebak

Thanks!
I think I might have stumbled upon the answer to the riddle of "Why no reviews...?"
Water drunk from one's undershirt does not seem to be all that popular.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seeborough said:
I think I might have stumbled upon the answer to the riddle of "Why no reviews...?"
Water drunk from one's undershirt does not seem to be all that popular.
I've never been one to let popularity govern my choices... I skipped the whole parachute pants fad back in the day cause I knew it was doomed from the beginning. Plus they were fugly.

But thanks for contributing the picture, it at least makes your post somewhat useful. :thumbsup:

·
Custom User Title
359 Posts
While i have never worn one, and i'm a nOOb to cycling, i live in the Great Mojave Desert. even when i ride in the early AM, the temp is in the low 90s, and it's drier than my granny's cooch. i can go thru 3 water bottles in an hour.
my next purchase will be some kind of Camel Bak hydration system.

as for parachute pants, i too thought they were fugly. Member's Only jackets too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would suggest a removable Camelback so you can easily refill the bladder with ice and water at the rest stops. With the weather we have been having in North Texas the last 2 weeks you will need to refill a 70 oz camelback and 2 - 24 oz water bottles at least once, more likely more in 100 miles.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jwp3476 said:
I would suggest a removable Camelback so you can easily refill the bladder with ice and water at the rest stops. With the weather we have been having in North Texas the last 2 weeks you will need to refill a 70 oz camelback and 2 - 24 oz water bottles at least once, more likely more in 100 miles.

Yeah, I kinda won't have the luxury since I'll be racing - unless the peloton agrees to take an organized stop.

I just don't know how us racers are to address hydrating without stopping on a 100 road race. It's not like we have team cars following. :confused:

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I use a North Face hydration pack when I go fly fishing and I use the same bladder in my daypack and backpack. The insulation in the North Face pack seems pretty good because the water stays pretty cool for quite a long time. I would really wonder about insulation for something that is right against your skin. I know that luke warm or even warm water is better than none, but it isn't terribly palatable. I could also see my back getting soaked from sweat in a pretty short time with something like this.

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
Yeah, I kinda won't have the luxury since I'll be racing - unless the peloton agrees to take an organized stop.

I just don't know how us racers are to address hydrating without stopping on a 100 road race. It's not like we have team cars following. :confused:
Last time I raced the hundred, I started with 2 large zefal bottles and a camelback (knockoff) that I got at Dick's sporting goods - it's the bladder only, with built-in straps. I wore it outside of my jersey with the thought that if I emptied it I could toss it at a feed zone / rest stop.

Anyway, they have neutral feeds at 3 spots in the 100 mile RR where they hand up 12 oz waters with the lid on. The feed zones are pretty long, at a couple I was able to grab 2 bottles.

I finished with a fair amount left in my camelback, and some left in each bottle. Of course it was a relatively cool year... I think this year is going to earn the name.

Be sure to download and read the race bible, lots of good info.

/ edit - also - team feeds are allowed in the feed zones, so if you have a volunteer with a car you can prep musette bags, way more convenient.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Creakyknees said:
Last time I raced the hundred, I started with 2 large zefal bottles and a camelback (knockoff) that I got at Dick's sporting goods - it's the bladder only, with built-in straps. I wore it outside of my jersey with the thought that if I emptied it I could toss it at a feed zone / rest stop.

Anyway, they have neutral feeds at 3 spots in the 100 mile RR where they hand up 12 oz waters with the lid on. The feed zones are pretty long, at a couple I was able to grab 2 bottles.

I finished with a fair amount left in my camelback, and some left in each bottle. Of course it was a relatively cool year... I think this year is going to earn the name.

Be sure to download and read the race bible, lots of good info.

/ edit - also - team feeds are allowed in the feed zones, so if you have a volunteer with a car you can prep musette bags, way more convenient.
Cool! Yeah, last year I was just riding but with racing this year, I'm bit more worried as I don't know what kind of speeds we'll be going thru there... I'm sure it'll slow down some though. Most racers are going to want to get more to drink or eat, that's for sure.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bobthib said:
Here's another option.

The camel back doesn't seem to give any capacity, and it seems like it covers most of the bod. This is just a vest, and it holds 1.5 l.
The CamelBak I mentioned holds 72 ounces. And I'm not seeing what you posted.

·
I'm slow
213 Posts
I have one and I love it. I'll have to admit I bought it for running, but it has worked its way into my road riding.

I used (and still use) a very basic model of the camelbak for mtn biking and road riding and liked it very much. However when I got more into running, I couldn't find anything I liked for carrying water on my longer runs. I tried my regular camelbak but it shifted too much causing some raw spots on skin, I tried waist packs but didn't like them, and I didn't like holding a bottle for 26 miles that was empty in 13. The racer back stays in place pretty well and doesn't shift too much, even when running. I have starting wearing it on my longer road rides and it works great. It has a small pad the shape of the reservoir so it doesn't sit directly against your back. It does make that specific spot sweat, but I sweat like crazy anyway, that's why I carry so much water.

When I finally found the Racerbak on sale I picked one up and couldn't be happier. The original price was around $100, which is too steep in my opinion, but I paid roughly $60.

It is not easy to get on or off quickly so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to refill while riding, nor would it be good for a tri. Mine is tight and takes about 3 minutes to wiggle out off after being soaked with sweat.

Overall, good product that offers a unique solution.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tpgrole said:
I have one and I love it. I'll have to admit I bought it for running, but it has worked its way into my road riding.

I used (and still use) a very basic model of the camelbak for mtn biking and road riding and liked it very much. However when I got more into running, I couldn't find anything I liked for carrying water on my longer runs. I tried my regular camelbak but it shifted too much causing some raw spots on skin, I tried waist packs but didn't like them, and I didn't like holding a bottle for 26 miles that was empty in 13. The racer back stays in place pretty well and doesn't shift too much, even when running. I have starting wearing it on my longer road rides and it works great. It has a small pad the shape of the reservoir so it doesn't sit directly against your back. It does make that specific spot sweat, but I sweat like crazy anyway, that's why I carry so much water.

When I finally found the Racerbak on sale I picked one up and couldn't be happier. The original price was around $100, which is too steep in my opinion, but I paid roughly $60.

It is not easy to get on or off quickly so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to refill while riding, nor would it be good for a tri. Mine is tight and takes about 3 minutes to wiggle out off after being soaked with sweat.

Overall, good product that offers a unique solution.
Very cool! Thanks for the input! I found one in all sizes... So tonight I need to measure my massive cyclist chest to find out exactly which size to order tomorrow.

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wish I had my camel bak today, went for a 50 mile ride, just to run out of water w/ 10 miles left to go. It wasn't very fun to say the least, I started w/ 2 large bottles.

·
Farmguy
573 Posts
My buddy and I were talking about the pro's/cons of bottles/cages and a camelbac. So I weighed them both. No numbers as I never wrote them down, but, 2 bottles and plastic cages weigh almost the same as a 80 camelbac bladder and pack, one designed for cycling, no cargo room just a flat pack.

So, for the same weight as 2 bottle/cages you get 30 extra ounces of water and a far easier way to drink water while riding, I can just turn my head and bite. With one bottle and cage, 1 camelbac I can ride 100 miles in 80ish temps without stopping. Plus, I have found that when I use the pack I drink a lot more, and more often. you just have to get used to carrying the pack, its easier than a 3rd bottle in the pocket. In heat, cold water along the back makes for great cooling effect as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts