Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw Hincapie was using a Camelbak. Bobby Julich used to do this, but I thought they made this illegal. Has there been a change?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hey! I was told only Freds were allowed to do this! So not fair :cryin:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick29 said:
fwiw, several of the Garmin riders had them too.

Why were they illegal?
I am not sure why they were illegal, but I remeber Bobby Julixh used to use one, then they refused to let him use one a few years.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I don't know why they'd be considered cheating since a camelbak is likely the cheapest piece of technology on the bike. $30 for a bladder.. they've prolly got a pocket sown into the under **** to hold it with out the bag.

I'd be interested to see why they would be illegal...

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
The old shape was considered illegal since the boffins at the UCI deemed them to aerodynamically help the rider - helping air flow off the helmet etc.

I know that Camelbak released a new style (RaceBak), which I'm guessing are UCI legal and most likely what the Garmin boys were using.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
majura said:
The old shape was considered illegal since the boffins at the UCI deemed them to aerodynamically help the rider - helping air flow off the helmet etc.

I know that Camelbak released a new style (RaceBak), which I'm guessing are UCI legal and most likely what the Garmin boys were using.
I will never understand that. How do they know where to draw the line? Like those fairing slipstream was using didnt help aerodynamically. Everything about TT is about cheating wind.
My brain is about explode.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Why would a rider weigh himself down with a camelback when they have teammates and cars ready to help them stay hydrated.

And in a 30min TT is water even necessary?

·
Registered
832 Posts
funktekk said:
Why would a rider weigh himself down with a camelback when they have teammates and cars ready to help them stay hydrated.
This is about individual time trials. Is it legal to accept fluids from a team car during an ITT?

·
Registered
656 Posts
funktekk said:
And in a 30min TT is water even necessary?
Not really but a dry mouth suddenly turns into an incredible need too drink turns into an unecessary distraction when everything in your body is screaming to stop.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
majura said:

I was thinking the new RaceBak too. Wonder if you can use it to keep your core cooler too. . .

http://www.rei.com/product/779970

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
grrrah said:
saw another rider (not sure which team), with the bladder only in the front of the jersey.
aha! I first thought I saw this when watching a recording of the VS coverage. I finally went through my own pictures tonight and noticed this:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also a columbia rider, so i assume this is an option for the team this year.

until the UCI deems the wind-deflecting properties of the camelbelly illegal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts