Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to swear by Tacx bottles.

Until I got a white bike. With a white bike the sports drink that spills from your bottles and cakes your bottle cages and bottom brackets is 100% visible and totally disgusting.

Anyway, I was perusing the latest issue of "6 Ways to Increase Climbing Speed" and saw an ad for the Podium bottle. I was enticed by the no-spill boasting and decided to try them.

Guess what ... they're not lying. I took three bottles on a monster ride this weekend and not one of them spilled a drop. I'm sold.

I wish the tops stayed on when you're refilling, like the Tacx bottles, but life's about trade-offs, I guess.
 

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
This thread is useless without pics.
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MerlinAma said:
The lids fit perfectly on Polar bottles. And still don't leak!

Now of we could just buy the lids alone...........
Duh! No kidding, huh? I hadn't thought about that but the Podium bottles are kinda cheesy looking.
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
If you have a powdered drink mix in there and shake it, does it fly everywhere?
Nope. Doesn't go ANYWHERE.

The lid has a twist-lock thing that seals the bottle shut. I've shaken the bottles hard (because with clear bottles you can see all the powdery gunk) and not a drop has spilled out.
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,287 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Nope. Doesn't go ANYWHERE.

The lid has a twist-lock thing that seals the bottle shut. I've shaken the bottles hard (because with clear bottles you can see all the powdery gunk) and not a drop has spilled out.
I'm worried about the drink spout thing, not the lid/bottle seal...

I mean, the bottle works on back pressure, right? Isn't the temporary pressure while the liquid hits the top of the bottle enough for it to spew a little bit?
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
I'm worried about the drink spout thing, not the lid/bottle seal...

I mean, the bottle works on back pressure, right? Isn't the temporary pressure while the liquid hits the top of the bottle enough for it to spew a little bit?
The twist-lock locks the spout, similar to pushing in the spout on a standard bottle. With the bottle locked closed, all the shaking in the world didn't leak out a single drop.

Once the bottle was on the bike. I left the spout unlocked. Still, nothing spilled out. Zilch.

If you shake the bottle with the spout unlocked, some will eventually come out. But I see no reason to do that.
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,287 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
The twist-lock locks the spout, similar to pushing in the spout on a standard bottle. With the bottle locked closed, all the shaking in the world didn't leak out a single drop.

Once the bottle was on the bike. I left the spout unlocked. Still, nothing spilled out. Zilch.

If you shake the bottle with the spout unlocked, some will eventually come out. But I see no reason to do that.
oh right. sweet. i didn't know that was there.

guess the only challenge will be remembering not to pitch it @ the feed...

I dunno. I always give mine a quick shake before each sip. I'm not sure if it's just a bit of a. retentiveness from thinking the mix has settled, or if its really doing something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Here's a few pics of the Camelbak Podium bottle top on my Polar bottle. I've shaken these and haven't had any leaks. If you don't have the spout locked off and shake it, make sure you don't squeeze too hard or you may get some liquid shooting out (get your mind out of the gutter).

<a href="https://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ca_22/DO%20NOT%20DELETE/?action=view&current=Untitled-1copy-1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ca_22/DO%20NOT%20DELETE/Untitled-1copy-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

<a href="https://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ca_22/DO%20NOT%20DELETE/?action=view&current=DSC_0380.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ca_22/DO%20NOT%20DELETE/DSC_0380.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
 

·
Rodie Persona
Joined
·
469 Posts
I used mine for the first time this weekend. I am IN LOVE!!! They totally rock the pony. Two huge thumbs up for these things. I also hope they resist mold and funky taste as well has the Camelbak hydration bladders.
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
I dunno. I always give mine a quick shake before each sip. I'm not sure if it's just a bit of a. retentiveness from thinking the mix has settled, or if its really doing something.
When I first tested the bottle, I shook it with the spout unlocked. It took a few shakes before anything spilled out. Besides, my main concern is leakage onto my bike; that wouldn't be as bad if it happened when I was shaking the bottle away from the bike.


Jeebus ... this thread has more c()de than Office 2007.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top