Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of ya'll use em? I cant imagine riding without my M.U.L.E. filled about 3/4's of the way.... Anybody else? I don't think I have actually seen one on a road biker before.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't use them on shorter rides (PITA to keep clean) but do on all longer rides. About 1/4 of the people on organized rides seem to have them around here.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Why use a Camelbak over 2 x 700ml bottles??
I cannot imagine riding with a Camelbak outside of long MTB rides where I need to cart lots of supplies.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Sorry - I don't smoke'em.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Only when I want to screw up my center of gravity, my balance and have my back all sweaty and crappy. Oh, and I like suckin' on that latex tube all day too! They are such a joy to clean, where do I get one?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have a Track Bike converter to a FG for the Road.
I use it for 3-1/2 hour training sessions.
It doesn't have WaterBottle Cage Mounts.
I use a CamelBak and it works fine for me.
I rinse it out with hot water and a Baby Bottle Brush.
I have an old Aquarium Filter/Tubing Brush that I run down the CamelBak Tube.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
lol leave it to a road bike forum to complain about cleaning camelbaks ;) fill them with clean water and you really dont have to clean them.. or if you're anal, toss them in the freezer.. or dont, doesnt make a difference.. or spend 5 seconds rinsing them out every now and then and wash your mouth piece.

i dont think mines too comfortable on the roadbike.. its essential for a mountain bike ride though.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have used them for mountain biking in the past. i don't really care for having extra weight on my back and losing out on the air flow. everything i need, i can carry in my jersey pockets and/or a small seat bag.

i drain and put it in the freezer so i don't have to worry about cleaning it besides a rinse. i would only use water in mine though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
TomH said:
lol leave it to a road bike forum to complain about cleaning camelbaks ;) fill them with clean water and you really dont have to clean them.. or if you're anal, toss them in the freezer.. or dont, doesnt make a difference.. or spend 5 seconds rinsing them out every now and then and wash your mouth piece.

i dont think mines too comfortable on the roadbike.. its essential for a mountain bike ride though.
What if I drink something other than water, smart guy? Water bottles go in the dishwasher....

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
yakky said:
What if I drink something other than water, smart guy? Water bottles go in the dishwasher....
if you rinse and clean them right away, it's not much trouble. i'd freeze it either way after being cleaned.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I can't imagine using one of the huge-backpacky type camelbacks. a few of the military and hunting ones are minimalistic enough for me, but come in whack-ass colors:

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
yakky said:
I don't think everyone puts their Water Bottles in the dishwater, but maybe they do.

I use Cytomax in my Bottles and CamelBak, with no problems.

I rinse my Water Bottles and CamelBak with warm soapy water and scrub the inside with a Bottle Brush. Once a week I add a tablespoon of bleach, fill with water and let sit 5-10 minutes to disinfect.

CamelBak also sells a complete cleaning kit with brushes and claening tablets, but I have never used this.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
'I can't imagine using one of the huge-backpacky type camelbacks. a few of the military and hunting ones are minimalistic enough for me, but come in whack-ass colors'

I have one very similar to this CamelBak in Black. It's the ThermoBak, and I love it.
The Sabre is also a Military minimalist pack that comes in Balck also.
Hope that helps.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I use water bottles and a camelbak on longer rides - water in the pack, and gatorade in the bottle. Seems there's a harsh dividing line on the use of them. If you like it, great! If you don't like it, great! Take your pick!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I always ride with my M.U.L.E. It holds 3L if it's full and I find I drink a lot when I ride so 2 bottles wouldn't be nearly enough for me. Plus it's nice to be able to carry more then 1 tube, a multi tool and an energy bar on a ride. Plus where I ride I dont have access to convenience stores to buy something mid ride. And as for cleaning them, I use water in mine so just hang it open and it dries. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only drawback to Camel back is that you are putting more weight on your body, which makes the road vibrations more troublesome over time. Let the bike carry the water weight in a bottle>

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
biketyke said:
you are putting more weight on your body, which makes the road vibrations more troublesome over time.

huh??? the real "drawbak" is the fredliness and potential for ridicule

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Hooben said:
Only when I want to screw up my center of gravity, my balance and have my back all sweaty and crappy. Oh, and I like suckin' on that latex tube all day too! They are such a joy to clean, where do I get one?
I use camelbaks on long mtb rides. On a mtb they are very handy. Unlike on a road bike it's rare that you're able to take your hands off the bars long enough to grab a bottle and drink. Plus, bottles can easily be dislodged on a mtb, rarely the case on a road ride. Center of gravity and balance is a non-issue. A couple of pounds on your back doesn't make you unbalanced and you quickly adjust to any possible balance or center of gravity issues. Your back does get more sweaty but since you're likely sweating pretty profusely anyway what's the dif? Sweat in my eyes is much more of a problem. Cleaning is simple. Two denture tablets in a bladder of water and everything is minty fresh. Most of the time I just rinse and throw in the freezer. I've also cleaned my bladder just like I clean my beer lines, oxy-clean. Works great with no effort, rinse and throw it in the freezer.

There is one instance where I use a small (50-70 oz.) camelbak on a road bike. When I'm doing a long time trial it comes in real handy. I put it under my jersey and it helps with aerodynamics as well as hydration. Makes a nice smooth transition from my helmet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts