Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to take the plunge on a DSLR and I'm looking at the Canon EOS 350. I want a solid entry level DSLR I can learn and grow with.

What else should I be looking at that is in the same price range and why?
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
KenB said:
I'm going to take the plunge on a DSLR and I'm looking at the Canon EOS 350. I want a solid entry level DSLR I can learn and grow with.

What else should I be looking at that is in the same price range and why?
I can't answer your questions, but have you seen the pics this thing takes?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRPICS.HTM

If you do camera research without that site, you's a fool.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
KenB said:
I'm going to take the plunge on a DSLR and I'm looking at the Canon EOS 350. I want a solid entry level DSLR I can learn and grow with.

What else should I be looking at that is in the same price range and why?
Some may argue but my 2 cents is there's really only Nikon and Canon in that arena. Your Nikon option in that price range is the D70. The D50 being alot cheaper and plenty of camera and has no current Canon competition. If money is somewhat of an issue I'd consider the D50 since the items start to pile up...i.e., lens(es), memory card, case, etc.

As far as Nikon vs. Canon I'd recommend going to your local Ritz Camera and trying them out. Also, checkout dpreview.com for reviews...their forums have beat this one into the ground as well. Personally I shoot Nikon. I believe they make a better lens and a better body. Picture quality is truly a tossup between the two...the person holding the camera and their ability is much more important than the feature set when you're in that price range. Canon has the edge in higher iso shooting without a doubt so if you're planning on serious indoor low light photography then stick with Canon.

I used the D70 for years and loved it...great camera and I much preferred it to the Rebel when I was searching. I was committed to Nikon before that but I had already dumped alot of gear and was trying to openly evaluate digital at the time. Canon has one edge in that they're likely going to be the early adopter to full-frame (35mm sized sensors) in their digital slr lineup but that's HIGHLY debatable as to the need/use. For me the D70 handled better and had some features I really preferred over the Canon. Also the Nikon ergonomics were MUCH better than Canon.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any q's.
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!

I know that the ESO 350 has some enhancements over the 300 according to dpreview. I've played around with the 300 and found it's feel much like our Minolta 35mm. It's the only one I've played with which is why it's my "baseline".

But, I'm not committed to anything yet. I know I can get the 350 with Tamron 75-300 and 25-80 lenses, spare battery and 2Gb CF card for just over $1100. The Tamron lenses, from what I've been able to find, have gotten solid reviews -- Canon lenses are way out of my budget.

From a "I'm just a guy that really likes to take pictures" prespective, what did you like about the Nikon over the Rebel?

Thanks again for the advice!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Just like cycling, it is not about the equipment it is about the user.

KenB said:
I'm going to take the plunge on a DSLR and I'm looking at the Canon EOS 350. I want a solid entry level DSLR I can learn and grow with.

What else should I be looking at that is in the same price range and why?
Any Canon or Nikon DSLR is going to be a very good camera with good system backup.

You can take amazing photographs with any of these cameras the real key is getting to know your camera and taking advantage of what it can do.

That being said the Canon EOS 350 can be a very good camera for you and a real good value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
The Canon Rebel XT you are looking at is a good camera. As is the Nikon D50, which runs against it. If you really want to grow with your camera, however, I suggest you spend a little more and get the next model up. The features of the EOS 20D or Nikon D70s will let you grow a little more than the Rebel XT or D50 will.

Both Nikon and Canon cameras are quality products. As to which to buy, cameras are kind of like bikes, you really need to go test ride them. Go to a store and play with them. See which fits your hand better (they are heavier than a point and shoot so this matters) and which you find easier to use.

Don't forget that you also need to buy memory cards, lenses and a flash (the ones that come on the camera are crap and should almost never be used). That will add up quickly. I've noticed that B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) has some good deals on packages for the cameras that include memory cards and lenses if you are worried about that.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
KenB said:
Thanks for the info!

I know that the ESO 350 has some enhancements over the 300 according to dpreview. I've played around with the 300 and found it's feel much like our Minolta 35mm. It's the only one I've played with which is why it's my "baseline".

But, I'm not committed to anything yet. I know I can get the 350 with Tamron 75-300 and 25-80 lenses, spare battery and 2Gb CF card for just over $1100. The Tamron lenses, from what I've been able to find, have gotten solid reviews -- Canon lenses are way out of my budget.

From a "I'm just a guy that really likes to take pictures" prespective, what did you like about the Nikon over the Rebel?

Thanks again for the advice!
From that perspective there's no way I'd recommend the Canon. The D50 takes beautiful pictures and I've actually seen it produce better out of body jpgs than the D70 in many ways. The D50 is PLENTY of slr for hi-speed/hi-qual output. I'd say save that SIGNIFICANT money and invest it towards a nice lens.

Take any of the cameras you mentioned and you'll get good output but the difference will always be better glass. Save yourself the $300-400 since you'll need it for accessories and glass. Get a nice lens and that will make the whole experience much better...better output and you'll make use of it alot more. The D50 is missing some D70 niceties but it should grow with your abilities very nicely. If you ever exceed the capabilities of the D50 you're likely looking at another class of camera, i.e. something in the several thousand dollar range for the body. Basically, go play with them and see what you think but the D50 is ALOT of camera and there's no need to drop all that cash until you know what you like, don't like, need, don't need.
 

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
Joined
·
19,723 Posts
With a DSLR, you're quickly going to end up with lenses (glass) worth a lot more than the camera body. Nikon and Canon are the two good choices because each makes a line of excellent lenses. Once you pick a camera body and buy a few lenses, you're effectively locked into that brand.

If you're not planning to buy a bunch of expensive lenses over the long term, there is not so much point in buying a DSLR. It's much cheaper to make a monolithic digital camera and these are much less prone to dust and mechanical failure. The strength of a DSLR lies in one thing: the ability to change lenses and a lot of compromises (cost, weight, mechanical complexity, vulnerability to dust and dirt) are made to accommodate interchangeable lenses. If you're not planning to swap lenses frequently, you might want to consider whether you'd get a lot more bang for the buck buying a different camera.

Canon and Nikon make excellent DSLRs that run all the way from inexpensive entry-level models through full professional-quality cameras that you can take into combat. You would not go wrong with either brand and I would recommend that you make your decision based not on the details of the camera body, but on the line of lenses and which brand you think offers the best optics.

I've been shooting with a Nikon D-100 for the last four or five years and I love it. I've had no problems and I get excellent quality even when I blow my pictures up to 11x17. Friends of mine with Canons love theirs. On the Nikon side, the D70 is a great value and the recently released D200 is a a fair bit more expensive but is a phenomenal camera for the price.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
topflightpro said:
The Canon Rebel XT you are looking at is a good camera. As is the Nikon D50, which runs against it. If you really want to grow with your camera, however, I suggest you spend a little more and get the next model up. The features of the EOS 20D or Nikon D70s will let you grow a little more than the Rebel XT or D50 will.

Both Nikon and Canon cameras are quality products. As to which to buy, cameras are kind of like bikes, you really need to go test ride them. Go to a store and play with them. See which fits your hand better (they are heavier than a point and shoot so this matters) and which you find easier to use.

Don't forget that you also need to buy memory cards, lenses and a flash (the ones that come on the camera are crap and should almost never be used). That will add up quickly. I've noticed that B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) has some good deals on packages for the cameras that include memory cards and lenses if you are worried about that.
One thing to note...that's debatable that the D50 runs against the Rebel. The D50 is $300 cheaper...the lines are blurry since Nikon and Canon run their lines a little differently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
listen to MB1....

Canon or Nikon are both great cameras, but trying to argue one vs. the other is similar to the Shimano vs. Campy arguments. Take the plunge, take tons of pictures, and enjoy yourself. It is definitely about the photographer not the camera.

One other thing to keep in mind....you can also buy third party lenses from companies like Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron for both Nikon and Canon DSLR's to make expanding your lens collection less costly.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
topflightpro said:
The Canon Rebel XT you are looking at is a good camera. As is the Nikon D50, which runs against it. If you really want to grow with your camera, however, I suggest you spend a little more and get the next model up. The features of the EOS 20D or Nikon D70s will let you grow a little more than the Rebel XT or D50 will.

Both Nikon and Canon cameras are quality products. As to which to buy, cameras are kind of like bikes, you really need to go test ride them. Go to a store and play with them. See which fits your hand better (they are heavier than a point and shoot so this matters) and which you find easier to use.

Don't forget that you also need to buy memory cards, lenses and a flash (the ones that come on the camera are crap and should almost never be used). That will add up quickly. I've noticed that B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com) has some good deals on packages for the cameras that include memory cards and lenses if you are worried about that.
I don't think he NEEDS a flash from the get go...the onboard ones aren't great but they'll do the job for simple indoor stuff. The Nikon onboard system is actually pretty good...I never use it because it still produces light that's too harsh (and it doesn't extend very far) but it's much better than any other I've seen. Nikon's creative lighting system is better than Canon's but you really need to be knee deep in lighting before worrying about that...
 

·
Beetpull DeLite
Joined
·
12,749 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I can't answer your questions, but have you seen the pics this thing takes?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRPICS.HTM

If you do camera research without that site, you's a fool.
Agreed! Everyone is quick to recommend dpreview.com, but imaging-resource is usually left out. It's a great site for reviews, tips, and as Scotty mentioned, lots of sample shots from the cameras.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I use and like the Nikon D50

I looked at the field last summer and opted for the Nikon D50. I have film SLRs from both Nikon and Canon that I've used since the 70s. I have not been disappointed (except for the recall of some of their rechargeable batteries).

I do think that the key to good digital photography is good technique coupled with the adroit use of a decent photo editor (I use Photoshop CS2, but it's major overkill for most of what I shoot, even as a semi-pro). The second key is good lenses. It's kind of like stereo systems: speakers first, then receivers.

Incidently, the D50 uses SD cards, which I like quite a lot.

Jim
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I hooked up with a coworker who has both a D70 and an EOS 300. I played around with them both for a little while and, in the end, I liked the "feel" of the 300 better. It felt better in my hands than the D70 and it was more "familiar" in terms of operation than the D70 was. Feature-wise, I honestly don't know enough yet to differentiate between them.

So, I ordered the EOS 350 from B&H today. I picked up a 2Gb Type II CF card, a Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC lens, a Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG lens and a spare battery. It should be at my door sometime Friday.

Next on the list will be a new flash, some filters and maybe a new bag and tripod.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
KenB said:
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I hooked up with a coworker who has both a D70 and an EOS 300. I played around with them both for a little while and, in the end, I liked the "feel" of the 300 better. It felt better in my hands than the D70 and it was more "familiar" in terms of operation than the D70 was. Feature-wise, I honestly don't know enough yet to differentiate between them.

So, I ordered the EOS 350 from B&H today. I picked up a 2Gb Type II CF card, a Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC lens, a Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG lens and a spare battery. It should be at my door sometime Friday.

Next on the list will be a new flash, some filters and maybe a new bag and tripod.
Congrats and happy shooting!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
i'll add to this already solved thread my 0.02.. i had a great experience w/ nikon's techical assistance. they were extremely helpfull online and set a technician to follow my case. i had shot an assignment in the rain. the camera froze. someguy in nikon a continent away kept asking questions and giving tips over 4 days till i found the dealer opened in another city (big holliday it was then).
it won me forever for nikon.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
colker1 said:
i'll add to this already solved thread my 0.02.. i had a great experience w/ nikon's techical assistance. they were extremely helpfull online and set a technician to follow my case. i had shot an assignment in the rain. the camera froze. someguy in nikon a continent away kept asking questions and giving tips over 4 days till i found the dealer opened in another city (big holliday it was then).
it won me forever for nikon.
That is the truth...I've loved Nikon tech support for ages. They've done me right time and time again. Rare enough these days...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top