Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Spin Diesel
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd ask here since a lot of you folks post some awesome pictures....what kind of cameras are you guys packing? I've been shopping around for a while and obviously my first concern is portability. I'd like to here what you folks are carrying and a short review of pros/cons if any. Thanks, I really like the Sony DSC T1

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
XC Roadee said:
I figured I'd ask here since a lot of you folks post some awesome pictures....what kind of cameras are you guys packing? I've been shopping around for a while and obviously my first concern is portability. I'd like to here what you folks are carrying and a short review of pros/cons if any. Thanks, I really like the Sony DSC T1
I use a Sony 4.1 mpix that you can get for under $200 now. I am happy with the quality of my shots and keep my camera set for VGA Internet format so that they are sized to post. Using this format also allows me to use the internal memory although I can use memory sticks if I needed them. We have a nicer Sony Digital for family photos and a Sony Digital Camcorder. We also have a sony big screen that has memory stick slots. I am a sony lifer, my mom still has a trinitron color tv that she bought in 1968.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
XC Roadee said:
I just bought a Canon EOS 350 DSLR about a month ago. I'm still too much of a novice to give a real review but I have to say I love it. It's a little much to carry around, but I picked up a fanny pack style bag that holds the camera and two additional lenses. It allows me to combine two of my favorite passtimes.

In the past, I've had a lot of luck with the Kodak point-n-shoot cameras.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I have a Canon 350 DSLR but it's just to big and expensive to take along on most rides. I wanted something smaller so I bought a Sony P200. $300.00, small and fast. I'm very pleased with it for a ride camera.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
jd3 said:
I have a Canon 350 DSLR but it's just to big and expensive to take along on most rides. I wanted something smaller so I bought a Sony P200. $300.00, small and fast. I'm very pleased with it for a ride camera.
I bought my camera with the intention of using it on bike rides. It fits in a bento box (which translates to box box) so it is convenient to grab and shoot. I keep it in a small ziplock bag and haven't had any problems with getting it wet and I have ridden in some monsoons. I keep my bike in my office during the day and sometimes the lens is fogged when I first go outside into the heat and humidity, but it goes away quickly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just got the Casio Exilim EX-S500 and love it. Just a tad bigger than a credit card and fits easily into my jersey pocket. The photo quality is excellent. It also allows me to shoot video and the quality is outstanding. I got mine for $270.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Pentax Optio S4i w/2 GB SD card - it'll fit inside an Altoids box, weighs about 4 ounces & it takes great photos.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the resolution for video mode is only 320 x 240 (pretty lame), but if you don't want it for videos, then I think it's a really great camera - I beat it up often - it's tough.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Been shopping smallish digi-cams for carrying around with me, especially for taking on rides, and I'm almost sold on the Olympus SP350. 8MP 3x optical zoom, manual control adjustability when I want, and a pretty small size. Anyone got any opinions on this camera? I'm just about to pull the trigger, (or would that be press the shutter? ;) ).

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
bigbill said:
I bought my camera with the intention of using it on bike rides.
Same here. It (Canon 350) IS bulky but I'm not out training or anything like that. I'm finding that I'm enjoying the rides in a whole new way combining two things I really love doing.

/Not suggesting that everyone buy a DSLR in any way.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
canon sd500/550

already posted this in the lounge (but maybe that was someone else who asked?)

Got a SD500 about a year ago. Loved it. Great camera, small, fast. Lost it. Got a SD550 slightly different interface (think i preferred the other) and larger screen. Both great cameras, only just a little over your budget. 7.1 megapixels.

XC Roadee said:

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Sony DSC-W7

I primarily use my Sony for riding. At 7.1 megapixels the enlargement quality is great and the colors are normally good. The downside is it can't gather much light so after the sun goes down so does the quality of the shots. The largest negative aspect is it gathers dust very easily onto the CCD and is a MAJOR pain in the butt to clean (almost impossible). I'd give it a 2.5/5 stars for the price vs. quality.

·
Prairie Smoke
356 Posts
Waterproof camera?

Do you guys worry about getting a waterproof camera, or do you just put the camera in a waterproof container?

Thanks,
Lisa

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
lspangle said:
Do you guys worry about getting a waterproof camera, or do you just put the camera in a waterproof container?

Thanks,
Lisa
I carry a gallon size ziplock bag and a plastic grocery bag with me when I bring the DSLR, just in case but I wouldn't bring the camera with me if I thought there was a good chance of rain.

I did the same when I had the point and shoot.

·
BBQ and blues!
51 Posts
Nikon D-70 a DSLR. I bought it awhile back because I had some Nikon lenses I could interchange on it. Therse are some pix I took on a ride in Monticello, FL.

However, it's too big and I don't consider it a point-and-shoot. I usually have to do some adjusting either on site or on the computer at home.

I have to carry it on the rack over the rear tire so when I stop to take a picture I have to turn around, unzip and haul it out. Be nice to have something small enough to go in a small fanny pack, a pocket or even around my neck on a lanyard if it didn't swing around too much.

I'll be getting something much smaller for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts