Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Almost any digital camera will do what you want it to do...you can't rally go wrong with the big names...Canon, Nikon, Pentax... With todays MP wars, you really have a lot to pick from, even my wife's Casio Elim produces some nice images.

www.dpreview.com

(BTW, I shoot Nikon and am Nikon through and through...take a look at Canon's offerings, I've been impressed with the performance of their P&S digicams.)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
California L33 said:
What avm247 said. The smaller the better, and if you go down regularly, the cheaper the better :)
That is the exact camera I am looking for, somthing cheap small and easy to carry around so even when I drop it I wouldnt feel too badly about it.

Samsung cameras?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Poke around for some reviews. I used to check out a site called Steve's Digicams or something similar. Google should bring it up. Look at battery life, some cameras are notorious energy hogs. I used to have a Canon that had a proprietary rechargable battery, but now I have a Nikon that takes AAs and I'm happier. It's a bit more bulky than you might like for carrying in a jersey pocket due to the longer (5x) zoom. The newer ones are flatter, have a thin profile and with 3x zoom will be sufficient for P&S.

Edited to provide the link for the site I mentioned: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

·
Registered
394 Posts
Given the likely abuse the camera will take when using it on the road, definitely check out cragslist and/or ebay and find something used. Digital camera tech is changing ridiculously fast and plenty of people are selling their old but perfectly good cameras so they can buy more megapixels (which really don't matter after a point unless you plan to print and blow up your photos).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
One of the most important things I look for when buying a camera is the batteries. Digital cameras "eat" batteries at a pretty surprising rate. If you're in the middle of South Chababaland and your proprietary battery craps out, you're done for the day. Chances are that when you buy a new battery it'll be pretty pricey. If the camera takes AA or even AAA, you can find them anywhere. Inexpensive too. They're also available in rechargable forms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.