Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else annoyed by their multiple appearances today?

Can't put my finger on why, but it annoyed me. I guess it's good exposure for the sport... I'm sure they were probably paid some kind of appearance fee, but Tom obviously didn't feel comfortable being there.

The photoshoot on the podium seemed a bit forced to me. *shrug*

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah I don't need to see them... at least it wasn't Ben Stiller. I wanted to punch him the other year. So did Lance from the looks of it!...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I thought is was cool, They only showed them once each during the race and just a bit at the end on tour tracker. It seemed Andy and AC enjoyed meeting them but Cameron really looked like she was ready to go...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weltyed said:
I'm pretty sure THEY paid to be there. to pimp their movie. That is what should bug you.
See I thought the same thing... they're over there probably promoting the european release of their new movie, but there was no mention of the movie from the commentators, so it wasn't any kind of cross promotion that I can tell. You know that VS would have jumped on it if there was a dollar to be made *shrug* :rolleyes5:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Actually if you watched the french coverage, they were vip guests & were in the comissaire's car during the race. Then they were backstage talking to the riders & later were up on the podium congratulating Contador for another day in yellow. And yes they were doing PR for the European release of Knight & Day.

·
Registered
442 Posts
From the looks of it, TC did not look very comfy up in the podium. I thought AC was very kind to give CD the flowers and invite them up to the top tier of the podium...

The whole thing looked a bit made up.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
gamara said:
Actually if you watched the french coverage, they were vip guests & were in the comissaire's car during the race. Then they were backstage talking to the riders & later were up on the podium congratulating Contador for another day in yellow. And yes they were doing PR for the European release of Knight & Day.
at least when Robin Williams, Cheryl Crow and Ben Stiller visited TdF, it was because - well they all have/had special relationship with Armstrong - but they also care/know a thing or two about TdF. Or even John Kerry - didn't he go? At least the dude rides his fancy Cerotta. I may be forgetting a celebrity or two.

Cruz and Diaz's visit today was blatant marketing for marketing's sake, and therefore was a bit offensive/annoying. They obviously didn't want to be there.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I wish they would keep all of Hollywood out of the Tour - we see way too much of these so-called "stars" during the course of our normal existance - Cycling should be a Hollywood-Free-Zone!

But, who am I fooling? If cycling becomes popular in the States - it will be commercialized like everything else is here - more "Stars" will be a sign of growing popularity - this in turn will lead to even more of this nonsense.

Okay, I'm becoming grumpy...

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
If they were real fans that would be one thing...

...but (like weltyed said above) they were just there to pimp another piece of Hollywood garbage.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's one thing if they're there because they're cycling fans - it's another if they're there because they are promoting their movie. For that, I don't care to see them.

·
Banned
257 Posts
55x11 said:
at least when Robin Williams, Cheryl Crow and Ben Stiller visited TdF, it was because - well they all have/had special relationship with Armstrong - but they also care/know a thing or two about TdF. Or even John Kerry - didn't he go? At least the dude rides his fancy Cerotta. I may be forgetting a celebrity or two.

Cruz and Diaz's visit today was blatant marketing for marketing's sake, and therefore was a bit offensive/annoying. They obviously didn't want to be there.

?????

New brand??

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't like it. It is not as though I'll ever be on the podium of the Tour, but I would imagine I wouldn't want anyone to steal my thunder after winning a stage or getting yellow. It should be about the rider not anyone else (cycling fan or not)
Oh, and I like the podium girls much better anyway

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
stevesbike said:
did you see Contador's tweet - they were the highlight of the day for him
really? well, that's just another reason to dislike the guy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wonder if the number of celebrity appearences will diminsh next year when that guy isn't racing..? I just hope versus keeps coverage...

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
While I agree that it was blatantly obvious marketing and slightly offensive, it's not like they were hogging the screen or anything.

Did you guys hear Phil's commentary during the pre-race show this morning?
Hi-lar-ious!
Apparently Tom and Cameron were in the commentary box during the sprint finish yesterday... first Phil quipped about Diaz leaning against him and how he wasn't going to wash his right knee again... "and she was very excited watching the sprint finish- and she wasn't the only one, I can tell you!"
I think that was Phil's way of saying "I'd hit that" :lol: :lol: :lol:
(as would I...)

·
Registered
755 Posts
barhopper said:
It was really annoying to see them on the podium with AC. That's sacred ground and shouldn't be contaminated by the likes of TC :p
Agreed, its like the old investment firm commercial, you have to earn it. Send em back to hollywood.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts