Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys I work with is a very accomplished rider. He has a whole garage full of high end bikes. I saw him at the bike rack unlocking his commuter to go home today and at first glance I was a little surprised at the POS he was getting ready to take off on until I looked a little closer. It was a Madone frame. But he had spray canned it and had a bunch of these really tacky reflective stickers all over it. The aftermarket wheelset and grouppo gave it away a little.
I asked him what the deal was and he said for someone doing a quick case of a bike rack this bike wouldn't get a second look. He has a large enough stable that he can sacrifice a bike like this in the looks department so he has a great ride as a commuter but doesn't attract attention. Does anyone else out there do this?
 

·
Apa kabar?
Joined
·
269 Posts
very creative

that's very creative (or maybe not), just wish i had the money and backup bikes to be able to do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Ive heard of commuters using duct tape around the frame to make it look cheaper. If i had the money, id do it, it lets you have a great ride that no one would steal cos it looks like crap
 

·
C 1/5
Joined
·
609 Posts
i know a guy that does that, except his commuter really is a piece o' crap walmart special. I asked him why he does it? "I don't want anyone to steel it." "Dude - no one is going to steel that..."
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
Yeah, if I had a new Porsche, or a Vette I'd do that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,047 Posts
Sorry, but the guy is an idiot. Who needs to commute on a Madone? A smart guy would have a good enough job to keep the bike in his office, or he would recycle an old steel steed for use as a commuter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
filtersweep said:
Sorry, but the guy is an idiot. Who needs to commute on a Madone? A smart guy would have a good enough job to keep the bike in his office, or he would recycle an old steel steed for use as a commuter.
Bingo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
936 Posts
It depends. .

filtersweep said:
Sorry, but the guy is an idiot. Who needs to commute on a Madone? A smart guy would have a good enough job to keep the bike in his office, or he would recycle an old steel steed for use as a commuter.
One could say the same about a guy using a 911 Porsche as a daily driver car. Some people make enough that's it's no big deal. It all depends on finances.
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,505 Posts
KATZRKOL said:
One could say the same about a guy using a 911 Porsche as a daily driver car. Some people make enough that's it's no big deal. It all depends on finances.
And also on what you want. Mind you, most people would say that I'm crazy for owning and racing a 800 dollar bike, for putting 400 bucks of upgrades into it, for wearing (OMFG) lyrca, for shaving my legs.

I don't think I'm crazy for it, cuz I want to and enjoy it.
Maybe he enjoys the madone?
seems logical to me at least.if you like it, and you can, why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Yup

gotmilk? said:
One of the guys I work with is a very accomplished rider. He has a whole garage full of high end bikes. I saw him at the bike rack unlocking his commuter to go home today and at first glance I was a little surprised at the POS he was getting ready to take off on until I looked a little closer. It was a Madone frame. But he had spray canned it and had a bunch of these really tacky reflective stickers all over it. The aftermarket wheelset and grouppo gave it away a little.
I asked him what the deal was and he said for someone doing a quick case of a bike rack this bike wouldn't get a second look. He has a large enough stable that he can sacrifice a bike like this in the looks department so he has a great ride as a commuter but doesn't attract attention. Does anyone else out there do this?
just make it look totally plain..
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
Reminds me of that old Paul Simon song: "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
estone2 said:
And also on what you want. Mind you, most people would say that I'm crazy for owning and racing a 800 dollar bike, for putting 400 bucks of upgrades into it, for wearing (OMFG) lyrca, for shaving my legs.

I don't think I'm crazy for it, cuz I want to and enjoy it.
Maybe he enjoys the madone?
seems logical to me at least.if you like it, and you can, why not?
Thank you! I love the 'idiot' comments because he CHOOSES to commute on a Madone. It's his choice. The fact that he's decided he likes that bike as a commuter, and has chosen to protect it a bit by dressing it down, makes perfect sense, because it makes sense for him.

Jim <--- who would probably have a Surly Crosscheck as a commuter, if he had a bike-friendly commute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Cut the guy some slack!

filtersweep said:
Sorry, but the guy is an idiot. Who needs to commute on a Madone? A smart guy would have a good enough job to keep the bike in his office, or he would recycle an old steel steed for use as a commuter.
Hear Yee! Hear Yee! Let it be know that I too am an idiot. I too commute on my Madone. I work in an industrial facility, so I do take my bike in and park it next to my office. I told everyone that works in my department what the bike costs and encouraged them to play with it to the extent of what they can afford. So far, nobody has messed with it.

Really though, If the guy has a Madone and likes to ride it to work, that's up to him. The fact that he has a stable full of bikes makes no difference. He bought the madone for the ride, and he obviously likes to ride it. Cut him some slack. If he's like me the morning ride is a commute, while the evening ride is an all out training ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
What if the Madone had some hairline cracks in it that would keep it from being race worthy?

What then... toss the frame or see if you can get some practical use out of it? Maybe under the rattle can spray paint is some epoxy keeping that thing from splitting??
 

·
Pedal Master
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
How does any of this relate to finances? Duct tape and black paint are about $6 if you buy them BOTH. It's not a $$$ issue, but an ego issue. That said, I'll bring the bike in the office with me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
handsomerob said:
What if the Madone had some hairline cracks in it that would keep it from being race worthy?

What then... toss the frame or see if you can get some practical use out of it? Maybe under the rattle can spray paint is some epoxy keeping that thing from splitting??
If my Madone had hairline cracks, I'd call in the Trek Lifetime Warranty on the CF frame. From what I've been told, Trek is very good to those who have popped for CF bikes.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Those who live in glass houses...

filtersweep said:
Sorry, but the guy is an idiot. Who needs to commute on a Madone? A smart guy would have a good enough job to keep the bike in his office, or he would recycle an old steel steed for use as a commuter.
I can assure you this guy is no idiot, and furthermore I take exception to your remarks considering you know nothing about this person. If you feel that because his idea of what he rides to work differs from your myopic view of what he should ride gives you the right to make statements of a negative nature, then so be it. How do you live with the mantle of perfection that must weigh so heavily on your shoulders?
He loves his bikes, and riding them. Enough said.
 

·
Alien Musician
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
My commuter bike is actually my old hardtail MTB with slicks.

I DID slap stickers on it (the band Savior Onasis as well as a Space Ghost
sticker and a couple of others) because I'd been riding a more or less pristine
commuter bike and it was stolen within a week. Jerks. I hate to subject the
old MTB to it but it had to be done out of financial necessity (couldn't afford
to replace the stolen one so I co-opted an existing ride for the same purpose).

So I made it look embarassing although it can really haul if I need it to.

Now that I'm working for a cycling unfriendly workplace it's great as a
trainer bike in the winter.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top