Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is at camp for the next two weeks. I find myself looking at the pictures they post daily on line and wishing I was 11 again so I could go too. I went to three camps as a kid, Pinnacle and Coniston in NH and Keewaydin in Canada, and all of them rocked and were a great place to grow.

In sum, I miss camp.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
was a volunteer at camp for three summers before becoming a counselor for an additional 3. then one year at a day camp.

yeah. i miss it.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
I agree. Summertime as a kid = really good times. I love seeing my kids go through it and remembering what it was like.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
My dream is to one day run a summer camp. Being a camp counselor was the best job I ever had.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
My son is currently at summer camp in Texas. He goes each summer for three weeks with his cousin from the DFW area. He comes home tanned, tired, and happy.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
The boy went to camp with scouts every summer for about 6 or 7 years, and once to the Nat'l one. Each time we heard some great stories. I'm sure there were other stories we won't hear for a long time.

I only went to summer camp once. I never wrote my mom any letters, and she never sent me to camp again. Shoulda wrote some letters, I guess.

bigbill said:
... He comes home tanned, tired, and happy.
Boy would shower and then sleep for about a day after.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
15 months of my life were spent working at a summer camp in the Berkshires.

I miss camp. I miss the kids. I miss the counselors. I hate the fact that the last year I was offered a job there it was for teaching cycling....I turned it down.

I regret not spending 2.5+ months cycling in the Berkshires...

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10ae1203 said:
I only went to summer camp once. I never wrote my mom any letters, and she never sent me to camp again. Shoulda wrote some letters, I guess.
My first summer of overnight I would apparently only eat bread and butter with sugar on it. That's it. Breakfast lunch and dinner. So I'm surprised my parents actually did send me back. :)

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Summer camp is greatness. You gotta send the kiddos when the time comes. My son goes to stay with his grandparents in Kansas for a week every summer. When we call he doesn't want to talk to us. He's too busy.

My best summer camp memory was at Young Life camp in high school. It was the first time I went for a little extra grab during a makeout session that didn't get rejected. Winner!

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I sense a biz opp here... summer camps for adults. You pay $x to be a camper, $x+ to be a counselor.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
I loved camp as a kid. Some of my fondest memories were made at a summer camp I attended every year for a week in the Hocking Hills of southeast Ohio.

My younger brother is a camp counselor/trail cook/expedition leader at a ranch camp out in Jackson Hole WY. He spends three months out there every summer taking rich kids on backcountry camping trips. The photos he brings back are phenomenal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts