Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Had/still have a Campag 10 spd Chorus set up (52/39 chainset) but advancing years and general lack of fitness had me looking for a compact chainset. I happened across an Athena 11spd compact carbon chainset for a mere £100 (unused too!) on eBay which has arrived but it was an impulse purchase as I actually don't know:

1) If an 11spd chainset will work with a 10spd chain/groupset?
2) Whether I need to replace the front mech (which is a standard Record front mech) to a compact version?

I'd be very grateful for any answers.

Many thanks

David

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
1) yes - and I've done it.
2) try it and see - it'll probably work OK. If you decide to replace it just buy a Veloce FD (they are all "universal" now).

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
you will need to reinstall the FD at a lower height to give 1-2mm clearance from the large chainring. If you need a new chain, now would be a good time. If the existing one is OK, it could potentially be too long. Check in the small-small combo and see that there is still some tension. If not, shorten it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
1) yes - and I've done it.
2) try it and see - it'll probably work OK. If you decide to replace it just buy a Veloce FD (they are all "universal" now).
bikerjulio I've had a lot of success swapping the clamps on front derailleurs on the old 10 sp versions. Can you swap a clamp on a new with an older? Why, because Campy doesn't make 28.6 anymore.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
bikerjulio I've had a lot of success swapping the clamps on front derailleurs on the old 10 sp versions. Can you swap a clamp on a new with an older? Why, because Campy doesn't make 28.6 anymore.
All my bikes use a separate clamp with a braze-on FD. It's a lot more flexible arrangement for a tinkerer like me. For steel bikes I've just gone into my friendly LBS for a clamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.