Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
The Centaurs look bling! I have them sitting in a box waiting for my 15 year old Shimano 600s to fail.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have 08 centaur on two spare bikes, and 01 record on my main bike. It rides functionally better than my first gen record ten speed, but i think that is mainly because it is brand new. it is absolutely rock solid and beautiful, but I wouldn't expect anything less of the shimano. if you like the shimano, you probably know how the new ultegra will feel. if you want a change, go with the campagnolo. i don't think you can make a bad decision on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
campy is a great path to go down...

Either way is your choice, but remember, campy is the only group that is rebuildable! So, if you want longevity and durability, then by all means go campy. Ultegra is nice stuff, just not as durable, but again, nice stuff.

Go to it..........

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
gfoley said:
Either way is your choice, but remember, campy is the only group that is rebuildable! So, if you want longevity and durability, then by all means go campy. Ultegra is nice stuff, just not as durable, but again, nice stuff.

Go to it..........
A little less true for Centaur than for Record or Chorus, in that parts are tough to find, and tend to come in assemblies rather than jus the needed bits.

That's just as well, because 'rebuildable' is only because ergo's questionable engineering makes it necessary to be rebuilt. That is, they contain wear components, and given regular use will need to be rebuilt. Shimano will break when you crash, and you'll get what you deserve if you mistreat it with a hose blast regularly... but it's not designed to wear out.

I own and prefer Campy, but this 'rebuildable' thing is somewhere between a non-issue and a detriment to Campy. It is only a bizarre marketing spin that has made it into a benefit.

OP: Do bear in mind that if you go Shimano, you can get components as you need and can afford them. If you go with Campy, you'll need shifters, at least a rear der, cassette, and wheels (unless you use some aftermarket parts such as a shiftmate or Am Classic conversion cassette.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I forgot to mention reliable....

Per Campy Record, most likely you will never need to fuss with it as long as you keep it clean, lubed, etc. But it is a plus, marketing notwithstanding, to be able to replace an item if need be, rather than buy new.

I used a Record-C rear derailleur for 21 years before the shim got a hair-line fracture in it, and by then it was time to buy new any way. From here out I don't plan on keeping the new ride I am building up more than, say, 7 or 8 years.

Lastly, as far as marketing is concerned, all the big guys do it. Look at SRAM and it's RED, or Shimano's new groupo -- hype all the way. Same with Campy. Really, is anything new needed -- I doubt it. I have not heard anyone complain recently. One thing that I don't like about campy's new 11 deal are the long and pingion-toed brake levers -- they looked good to me at first, but wow, a little funky if you ask me. That's why I am building up with '08 Record 10s groupo... gotta love the all-Ti cassette.

Adios for now....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.