Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Eddy 53:11
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new set of 2010 campag Eurus wheels. BEST wheel set I've ever owned.
But, how exactly do I adjust the wheel berings?? This is how I've been doing it,
but I'm not so sure it's correct as there is still a bit of side-to-side play in the wheel.

I've loosened the tiny allen set screw on the hubs several turns, then re-tightened it until the
side-to-side play stops. This usually results in the set screw being nearly fully tightened.

Am I doing this wrong? It seems I have to "tighten" them every 100 or so miles . . . hummm.....

Thanks!

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
The set screw is just a clamp on an axle cone. You need to loosen the set screw, then rotate the cone clockwise to tighten the preload on the bearings, then tighten the set screw again. Here is my method of adjustment to ensure perfect bearing preload:

1) Remove wheel, loosen set screw, loosen axle cone 1/2 turn.
2) Tap end of axle with the handle of a screw driver or small rubber mallet to completely loosen preload on bearings.
3) Replace wheel in frame/fork and tighten skewer to normal amount, there should be significant lateral play in bearings now.
4) Tighten axle cone to remove lateral play. I usually do this by inserting the 3 mm hex wrench in the set screw and using it as a lever to rotate the axle cone clockwise. It does not have to be tightened hard, just snugged up to remove all bearing play.
5) Tighten set screw.

This method will result in the bearings being adjusted for zero play but not over tight when the skewer is closed. With the wheel off, if one presses against the axle on one side it is possible to feel a small amount of play in the bearings on the other side. The preload of the QR takes up this play when the wheel is installed.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric_H, thanks I'll have a go at it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts