Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who uses these or similar deep dish rims, do you use a valve extender with standard length valve tubes (I use Michelin A4's)?

Or do you use long stem valve tubes (also available in the Michelin A4's and are they long enough?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
use long stem tubes...

I used these wheels for several years, mostly before long stem tubes were available. Valve extenders are a pain, IMO. I've tried several brands and none work real well. I much prefer the long valve stem tubes. Any of the 50-60mm versions will do.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I got a rear '99 with a titanium carrier for $125 which seemed okay. Mavic makes some very nice machined brass extenders with an o-ring around the bottom thread but I'll give the long stem tubes a go as I have some in store.

·
Miggity Mac Daddy
51 Posts
I've been using the long valve tubes for quite some time now and had no problems. I haven't used the valve extenders. The thought of $20 unscrewing and flying off my wheel makes me nauseus.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
I have the Shamals too

I use the long stem tubes. Even the 48 mm can be made to work but are a bit of a pain to get started. Anything longer than 50 works great.

I love the Shamals

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
boneman said:
Anyone who uses these or similar deep dish rims, do you use a valve extender with standard length valve tubes (I use Michelin A4's)?

Or do you use long stem valve tubes (also available in the Michelin A4's and are they long enough?

Thanks in advance.
So let me get this straight: y'all take a big, heavy wheel and ADD MORE WEIGHT to it? Not to mention making an aero wheel less aero by sticking the valve out the hole. Uhhh, yeah.

I've had deep section wheels for years and have always used the valve extenders. Yes, they leak a little when you pump, but in all honesty how big a PITA are they really? You only really need them once in a while...

Just my opinion,

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.