Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

my riding buddy has a 2009-model 10-speed Centaur
he rides 53-39 double front rings and 13-29 10-speed cassette.

he want to covert to 50/34 Campag Centaur/Veloce compacts double rings but he does not want to buy new groupset like Athena (high cost) even though it has ideal gearing in 50/34 and 12-29 11-speed for him....

what he wants is a 10-speed either a 12-29 or 11-28 or 12-28 cassette that will work with Campagnolo compact 50/34.

If he stays on 13-29 10-speed then he would lose too much in top speed (50-13 versus 53-13) but he does want to keep his 29-tooth granny.

what options does he have? Does Shimano or SRAM 11-28 fit 10-speed Campag perhaps?

thanks

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts

·
Bibo Ergo Sum
1,400 Posts
53x13 = 28.7mph @ 90 rpms
50x13 = 27.1mph @ 90 rpms

That's not a huge difference in my book. Bump the cadence in the 50x13 to 95 and it equals 28.6mph.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
He could always buy a couple of the loose-cog cassettes (Veloces, particularly the older nickel-chrome ones) and mix and match to "Frankencassette" his own. Shifting may not be as smooth as a stock Campy model, but it will work. Otherwise, the Miche is a good choice.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
hello everyone

what options does he have? Does Shimano or SRAM 11-28 fit 10-speed Campag perhaps?

thanks
Eh, I don't want to keep spamming this setup as Campagnolo purists would look to killing me in my sleep...

There is the possibility of using a SRAM 10spd RD, and get as big as a 32t cassette (SRAM Apex) working with the 10spd shifters. I've done the mix (albeit with a 12-25t cassette), and it shifts perfectly. I'm running Powershift (2011 Centaur) levers, so I can only testify to sweeping upshifts being executed well. Other than that the single indexing is fine. I haven't heard of a failed attempt by anyone else.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Eh, I don't want to keep spamming this setup as Campagnolo purists would look to killing me in my sleep...

There is the possibility of using a SRAM 10spd RD, and get as big as a 32t cassette (SRAM Apex) working with the 10spd shifters. I've done the mix (albeit with a 12-25t cassette), and it shifts perfectly. I'm running Powershift (2011 Centaur) levers, so I can only testify to sweeping upshifts being executed well. Other than that the single indexing is fine. I haven't heard of a failed attempt by anyone else.
That's what I do with ultrashift centaur levers. But in this case the OP's buddy already have campy wheels.

I would say the Miche primato 10s 12-29 option is the best.

·
Hide Age and DOB
834 Posts
Has your riding buddy actually tried riding with a 13:29? I'd bet if you switched the cassettes with a compact crankset and didn't tell him, he'd never know the difference.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
He could always buy a couple of the loose-cog cassettes (Veloces, particularly the older nickel-chrome ones) and mix and match to "Frankencassette" his own. Shifting may not be as smooth as a stock Campy model, but it will work. Otherwise, the Miche is a good choice.
I've done this in past (lost the 16T and added a 12T). I finally got tired of the ragged shift from 15T to 17T and went back to the standard 13-29 configuration. There's less than a half dozen times a year I feel like I really miss the 12T cog. For me the difference doesn't justify the poor shifting. It's not unworkable at all, but often requires an little extra swing of the shift lever (or a re-shift) to get a clean jump to the 17T cog.

·
Registered
765 Posts

x2... good for cx, road should b fine

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts

Check that SRAM cassette. It has some BIG jumps in it...

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
duplicate...

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit of a refresh to an old thread.

Same thing but my "friend" is me. Old legs wanting higher cadence on teh really steep hills. Can I swap out the cassette in a compaq Campy setup with the SRAM 11-32 or 12-36?

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
A bit of a refresh to an old thread.

Same thing but my "friend" is me. Old legs wanting higher cadence on teh really steep hills. Can I swap out the cassette in a compaq Campy setup with the SRAM 11-32 or 12-36?
You have a Campy setup and thus a Campy wheel... so the Sram cassette won't even fit on the hub.

You could:

1. try to find a Campy cassette that fits your needs.
2. find an aftermarket manufacturer like Ambrosio or Miche that has the desirable cassette specs.
3. Get a Shimano-hub wheel and use a travel-agent.
4. same as 3, but replace travel-agent with 11speed components since Shimano and Campy 11 are "close enough"

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Campy now have a 12-30 10-spd Centaur cassette. Miche don't go that high.

Although it can work with a short cage RD and compact in front, if you are careful with chain length, a medium cage RD is safer.

Next step is Shimano/SRAM hub and cassette, Shimano RD and a shiftmate.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Campagnolo compatible can mean a couple of different things. The IRD picture shows Shimano splining giving the impression that it's a conversion cassette.

As Clifford says, for seriously lower gearing you might be better off with a triple. Centaur 10 and Athena 11 available. Requires shifters, derailleurs, crankset as a minimum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts