Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is SRAM 10s chain compatible with Campagnolo 10s groupsets? I can't find that fact anywhere and I would really like to use SRAM chain because of its PowerLink.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info..

smokva said:
Is SRAM 10s chain compatible with Campagnolo 10s groupsets? I can't find that fact anywhere and I would really like to use SRAM chain because of its PowerLink.
The width is the same, but you do know that the link is not reuseable?

There are two reuseable links that will fit either the Campy UN or SRAM chain. Forster makes a 5.9mm Superlink that will fit and the "Shimano compatible" version of the wipperman connex link, marked 10S1, will also fit properly.

I think you'll find that Campy chains elongate far less than any other brand, whihc makes them a better value overall.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Campy chains are too complicated for me. I like mavic/wippermann chains and their reusable links.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C-40 said:
The width is the same, but you do know that the link is not reuseable?

There are two reuseable links that will fit either the Campy UN or SRAM chain. Forster makes a 5.9mm Superlink that will fit and the "Shimano compatible" version of the wipperman connex link, marked 10S1, will also fit properly.

I think you'll find that Campy chains elongate far less than any other brand, whihc makes them a better value overall.
Hmm....I didn't know that SRAM 10s PowerLinks are not reusable like 8 and 9sp ones. If that is right than Campy chain with some kind of reusable link that will fit sounds better. All I have to do is find a link that will fit.

·
497 Posts
I'm with C40 on this one

The cost of a Campy Veloce chain + Wipperman link is by far the best bang for the buck.

The mystical and frustrating days of the Campy Permalink are long gone. Measure, cut the chain to desired length, and shove in the special pin (just like a Shimano chain), or use a replaceable link instead. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have mixed it all....my current 9sp setup is: Shimano cranks, Campy sprockets and SRAM chain. Who can beat that ? :)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Been through this before. I use the 5.88mm width KMC DX/10SC on a Campy 10 drivetrain.

Comes with a reuseable master link, shifts great and is dead quiet. As I mix up bikes, that one only has about a 1,000 miles on it, but wear appears quite acceptable.

I await C-40's scientific analysis.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
ti-triodes said:
I believe Leonard Zinn was talking about them in Velonews last year. He said it did work.
I don't have the spec sheet right in front of me, but all 9 speed chains are generally about 6.6mm to 6.8mm wide.

The original Campy 10s chain was 6.2mm and it was too wide. It tended to score adjacent cogs and was super sensitive to adjustment. I know from my own experience. Campy replaced it with the Ultra 10 at 5.9mm width.

That's why I tried the new KMC Shimano and Campy compatible DX10SC at 5.88mm. So far it works great. Durability is yet to be determined.

I don't recall Zinn's article, but I doubt you can make a 6.6mm chain work satisfactorily on a system that was sketchy with a 6.2mm.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
By the way, a 9 speed chain works just fine on a Campy 8 speed setup. I'm running a Sram PC 991 on a Record 8 speed bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts