Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my uncle sent me this old track frame he built up in the mid seventies when he use to race for the Trek factory team in Wisconsin, back when it was a one shop deal. I had it powdercoated and clean up cosmetically very nice, but had problems finding a chainring that would fit the vintage campy pista crankset. I measured the bcd, and obviously measured wrong thinking they were 144, and of course, pista engraved on the inside of the crank arm, must be a 144! Buy a 144, its too small, the shop I get it from are puzzled and have never had a case like it. I ask how much to order one? For a true campy 150, 200 dollars for the chainring itself!! I was blown away, so instead of doing the vintage restore, I went modern and purchased the sugino 75 200 set (Im a student, gimme a break). The bike turned out excellent and is a blast to ride. But the chainring, the head mechanic at the shop told me since its such a rare and mint crankset, I could get possibly 5-600 dollars on ebay for it. Just seeing if anyone else here has heard of the 150 track crankset before?

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Sounds like a nice bike. That 150 BCD pista crankset was the Campy standard for the day. (Correction 151) There is currently a bit of a revival in the fixed gear world, so a real pista crankset would be of interest to a bunch of folks. I doubt it is in the $500 range, but you should just check the completed sales on e-bay to get an idea. If it is 1 inch pitch (looks like every other tooth is missing) it's worth more, but it's most likely newer than that if it came on a Trek.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's 151 BCD, which is what Pista cranks were until the early 70's. NOS Rings are expensive but not more than $50-$60 if you search around. Try Bicycle Classics, or Velostuff. They will be 1/8 as well so keep that in mind. You can find whole cranksets for about $250 for a used set. 1960's Campy road rings were also 151, so it is possible to find the then common 48T rings in 3/32 if you do not want to run a 1/8 drivetrain. The 151 Pista set has to be one of the prettiest cranksets ever. Here's a set I polished on my Cinelli.

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/album145/newoly4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts