Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I always read about the incompatibility of these two brands, but I have recently read about its possibility and feasibility and it got me wondering. I took some information for Sheldon Brown's site and I would like someone to poke holes in this theory.

Campy 9 speed cogs center to center are 4.55mm apart and Shimano is 4.34mm apart.
This is a difference of .21mm per shift. If one were to set the middle cog as the perfect alignment, wouldn't 4 shifts up or down only result in a total error of .84mm. Could an "offset" of less than a mm be an issue?

The same logic for 10 speed cogs proves even less of a difference of .17mm per cog for a total of only .68mm on one side (4 shifts) to .85mm on the other side (5 shifts).

Basically I would like to know how well a 9 speed shimano cassette would work with a 9 speed Campy gruppo. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Getting tired of paying for campy casettes? They are rediculously expensive. You will probably get some gears to work while others at the opposite end of the range will skip. Constant fiddling with barrel adjusters may work, but why bother. Cough up the extra cash.

I'm currently running DA10 shifters and Ultegra 10 rear derailleur with Record front derailleur and Record Cranks. I'm pretty sure a Campy rear d will work as well. The pivital items are the cassette and Shifters have to be the same.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
handsomerob said:
Ok, I always read about the incompatibility of these two brands, but I have recently read about its possibility and feasibility and it got me wondering. I took some information for Sheldon Brown's site and I would like someone to poke holes in this theory.

Campy 9 speed cogs center to center are 4.55mm apart and Shimano is 4.34mm apart.
This is a difference of .21mm per shift. If one were to set the middle cog as the perfect alignment, wouldn't 4 shifts up or down only result in a total error of .84mm. Could an "offset" of less than a mm be an issue?

The same logic for 10 speed cogs proves even less of a difference of .17mm per cog for a total of only .68mm on one side (4 shifts) to .85mm on the other side (5 shifts).

Basically I would like to know how well a 9 speed shimano cassette would work with a 9 speed Campy gruppo. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks.
Simple. Find a mate who has a Shimano 9 rear wheel and try it. Then hand wheel back and continue to use Campag.

If you're balking at the cost of Campag cassettes, try changing the chain more frequently. I notice many posters complaining about Dura Ace's longevity & replacement cost. I don't get it as I'm using 4 year old cassettes with no problem. Mind you I change my chain every 4 - 6 months and don't use Shimano chains. Sram PC89R's last longer and stretch less easily in my experience.

As far as cassettes go, use a Chorus all steel to get the best value.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used the JTEK Shiftmate and it worked great. Shifting was much better with the Shiftmate than without it. I used it with Campy 9spd components and Shimano wheels. <http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm>

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
best solution...

The shiftmate is the obvious solution if you've got shimano wheels or if you're just too cheap to buy campy cassettes.

Although the mismatch at the end of four shifts may not sem like much, it's over 20% off position, which is quite a bit. It also makes adjusting the RD much more critical.

Changing chains more frequently will only help to increase cog life if you're currently running your chain beyond the allowable 1/16" per foot elongation. Depending on the cost of the chain you select compared to the cost of the cassette, using more than 2 or 3 chains per cassette is usually not cost effective. Alternating between two chains can increase the useful life of any cassette, because it eliminates the extreme mismatch of placing a new chain on worn cogs.

Ti cog life is much shorter than steel, so if you want to save real money, consider buying Chorus, Centaur or Veloce cassettes instead of Record.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
My solution

I have racked up around 14K miles on my shimagnolo commuter. I run 9 speed chorus ergo levers, RD, and FD. I use SRAM 9 speed chains and SRAM 9 speed cassettes on shimano hub wheels. Using a 12-23 cassette, the only noise issues are when I have used the 21 or 23 and a quick tap of the thumb lever fixes that. Once the chain starts to elongate due to wear, it goes to hell pretty fast and starts skipping. I usually ride a chain for 1500-1800 miles due to the dirty conditions I commute through and the red volcanic dirt that wears everything down. For whatever totally unproven and unscientific reason, I find the SRAM cassettes work better with the setup. I did use an ultegra 9 cassette for about six months, but found when I switched out wheels to a SRAM cassette wheel, it just shifted better. Can't explain why. Both commuter wheelsets currently have brand new SRAM cassettes on them along with a new chain on the commuter. FWIW, I use the cheap ones that cost me around $30 with a steel lockring.

G

·
I have a number of wheels with Shimano hubs ( I try not to admit this) and all of my bikes are Campy equipped.

I run American Classic 10 speed cassettes with Campy 10 and it works flawlessly.

I have also used respacer kits from Branford Bike to space a 9 speed Shimano CAssette for use with Campy 10. You get 9 speeds rather than 10 - and my thought is who cares, I have the range.

The spacer kits also work flawlessly. They are available in 8, 9 and 10 speed versions. For about $25 I think they are great.

These two methods work well for me, I have never tried the Shiftmate but understand it works well too.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally picked up a Campy 9 speed cassette and haven't yet got all the parts for the Colnago that the Zondas are intended for. I figured what the hell.... give it a shot.

WELL........

With a new Campy cassette on there, it shifts better than it did with the used Shimano cassette. I mean it is spot on, no skips, no jumps, just good solid gear shifting.

To think that I can throw these Zondas on any of my rigs makes my giddy as a school girl. :blush2:

Here they are on the Spicer that I recently finished.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The problem is more than cassettes. I assume you want to use Campy control levers but you rear wheel has a Shimano hub? If so, you either need to change the cassette carrier on the hub or use a Shiftmate. I've tried to do what you want to do and it works to a degree but things get dicey at the extreme ends of the cassette. That produces, noise, missed shifts and excessive wear on the cogs. It's OK for a temporary solution until you do something better. The best approach is to change the cassette carrier and use Campy cassettes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
campi-shimano

Hi, is it possible to have a campi chorus shifters with campi rear derailleur and front D + crank shimano and brakes caliper shimano or campi??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have campy 10sp cranks, campy rear der., campy front der., campy shifters, and a shimano compatible hub, with a shimano cassette (and a jtek #1 shiftmate), but what chain should I use?

The website you posted says a shimano chain will cause problems with the campy chainrings, but a SRAM 10spd chain will work just fine with the mix of both parts. Is this true? I'm kinda stuck as to what chain to get: Wipperman, Shimano, KMC, or SRAM. I know the Campy UN chain will not work at all with this combo, so which other chain will?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
???

How do you know that a Campy UN chain won't work? I've read postings that said it will work just fine. All modern 10 speed chains now have the same 5.9mm width so that it not an issue.

FWIW, I've used the original Campy 10 chain, the new Campy UN, Shimano DA 10 and KMC DX10SC chains with FSA cranks and Campy cassettes with no problems. Right now I've got a KMC on my new Campy compact crank and it's working great.

If you want a quick link, try the KMC. At this point, I don't know how long it will last compared to the best I've tested (Campy) but it certainly shifts well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
C-40 said:
How do you know that a Campy UN chain won't work? I've read postings that said it will work just fine. All modern 10 speed chains now have the same 5.9mm width so that it not an issue.

FWIW, I've used the original Campy 10 chain, the new Campy UN, Shimano DA 10 and KMC DX10SC chains with FSA cranks and Campy cassettes with no problems. Right now I've got a KMC on my new Campy compact crank and it's working great.

If you want a quick link, try the KMC. At this point, I don't know how long it will last compared to the best I've tested (Campy) but it certainly shifts well.
I always thought Shimano cassettes used 6.1mm chain, and the new Campy stuff used 5.9mm chain? So the KMC DX10SC can be used with both the Shimano cassette and the Campy cranks? If so, that would be great. I am not looking for any super special race chain, just something durable and of good quality. (I had been looking at KMC's, but was constantly seeing the X10SL which is rather pricey, the DX10SC is much cheaper!)

Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
I saw a road bike this morning..... with shifter campi chorus, dura-ace brakes caliper, shimano front Der. shimano crankset. chorus rear Der. cassette and chain are shimano..everything work perfectly....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Campy 10spd and shimano 9spd

Hello, I have been using shimano dura ace 9spd cassette with campy 10spd shifters and campy derailers. works extremely well under most demanding conditions.

Just purchased 11spd campy chorus shifters and rear derailler in order to test compatibility with shimano/sram 10spd cassettes. i will post as soon as tested.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
???

I don't see much point in that. The cog spacing on Shimano and SRAM cassettes is 3.95mm, while the new Campy 11 has been reduced from the 4.12mm used for 10 speed to only 3.8mm. You don't have to do any tests to know that a RD shifting to 3.8mm spacing won't match up well to a cassette with 3.95mm spacing. In general, an overshifting setup is more tolerable than a undershifting setup like this would be. The key with these mismatched setup is too try to center the RD on the cassette, so the error is split between up shifts and downshifts.

There are already J-tek shiftmates to correct the cable pull, so Campy 10 shifters be used with other mixed setups. Campy makes the new ultrashift ergopower design in a 10 speed models too. They've got all the quality of the higher level 11 speed models.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend the money to buy 11 speed shifters and RD and not take the last step to an 11 speed cassette. If all that is desired is a 10 speed system, buy the new 10 speed shifters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
C-40 said:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend the money to buy 11 speed shifters and RD and not take the last step to an 11 speed cassette. If all that is desired is a 10 speed system, buy the new 10 speed shifters.
He also need a Campagnolo compatible freewheel or hub or rear wheel. And don't forget the 11 speed chain.

I use a similar combination with kriskros. Campagnolo Centaur 10sp shifters, Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed rear derailleur, 10 speed Shimano 105 chain, and Sram 9 speed cassette. The initial plan was to use 10 speed Shimano 105 12-27, but is not working correctly. Instead on Sram 9 run correctly.

It is strange, because on Sram 9 speed cassette, the cog spacing(4.42mm) is far away from spacing on Campa 10 speed (4.12mm). The Shimano 10 (3.95mm) is more close to Campa cog spacing.

kriskros, don't forget the 10 speed chain, and i think is better to keep the 10 speed rear derailor, is built for the 10 speed chain.
Good lack !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.