Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so in the process of moving parts around on frames I've run into a bind.

Basically, my chorus rear brake was fine when used with my old steel frame. But since upgrading to an aluminum frame with thicker carbon rear stays, the rear brake wouldn't reach due to a short bolt/short recessed nut. So I could only move my Chorus front brake over to my new bike, and the rear Chorus brake stayed behind on my steel frame.

I stole a Campy Veloce front brake that I had lying around and installed it as my rear brake on the new aluminum frame so I could get everything up and running.

Long story short, I'm trying to install the front brake on that old steel frame again and it's like the recessed nut/bolt isn't long enough to connect with the brakes I have currently (veloce).

I either need

1) new brakes with a longer brake "stud" that goes through the crown

2) just a longer recessed nut to connect to the brake

#2 seems easier/cheaper...does anyone have any idea where I could get this part? It's the hex-ended "nut" that runs through the fork crown and threads onto the brake stud. I just need a longer one than what I've got so I can use my brakes and get the bike up and rolling!

Many thanks gentlemen

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Common item, easy to find as said. Also, any decent bike shop has these nuts in several lengths. You want it long enough so that at least six threads engage each other.

/w

·
Registered
890 Posts
icycles.com

I went the opposite way. Got a steel frame and had a super stupid long rear brake nut. Got a shorter one. They have lots of little spare parts and ship it out pretty quick (3 days from order to door) although shipping could run $8 or $9.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts