Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming down Rhiw mountain today near Abersoch. Its20% and it was baking hot . At the bottom afternoon some heavy braking my front wheel has distorted due to the heat from braking on the carbon. The wheels are only a year old and I have returned under warranty to campagnolo.has anyone experienced this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I say braking on the carbon I mean braking on the metal rim and the carbon has distorted

·
Registered
231 Posts
That can happen to any rim brake bike with carbon wheels unfortunately. Ambient road temperature combined with heavy braking is a recipe for disaster to happen. You're lucky you didn't get a tire blowout. Count your blessings.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Glad you weren’t injured!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Obviously, you are one who likes to go slow downhill. IMO, your options are get a new bike with disk brakes or don't go up/down mtns like that, ever again.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
ugh what, so the alloy braking track is ok, but the carbon fairing is distorted?? And yet, you didn't have a blowout?? I'd say that the carbon fairing is junk. Now if the brake track was carbon and it got warped, then that is not out of the ordinary. I've never heard of carbon fairings getting warped due to braking heat before reading your post.

But let's be honest here, 20% is freaking steep. I've see many cars, mostly the SUVs and vans but sometimes passenger cars too, that cook their brakes descending a 4-mile 9% avg stretch of mountain road here. 20% is freaking steep if it's over a few hundred meters long. I hit 49 mph going down a few hundred meter long straightaway with a 10% avg. 20% would put me in the 60 mph category, and that's just insane speed to be doing on a bicycle.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Obviously, you are one who likes to go slow downhill. IMO, your options are get a new bike with disk brakes or don't go up/down mtns like that, ever again.
Disc brakes can have their issues down long steep hills too. Fluid can boil causing brake fade. Rotor cores can melt too and then you lose ALL your braking.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Well, that is slightly better than your tire blowing off the rim or it warping and locking up in the fork somewhere. Probably best if stayed off the mtns. One should be aware of where one is, if your going down a mtn using tons of brakes you should stop and take a break every once in a while, and disks are better "."

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Well, that is slightly better than your tire blowing off the rim or it warping and locking up in the fork somewhere. Probably best if stayed off the mtns. One should be aware of where one is, if your going down a mtn using tons of brakes you should stop and take a break every once in a while, and disks are better "."
Better yet don't descend any hill you wouldn't climb up.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Better yet don't descend any hill you wouldn't climb up.
We have one hill that is legit near 20. I think it’s map my ride or one of those Apps that gives grades. Short though, less than 50 yards, I’d say 30-35 yards. It goes up slowly for like 1/2 mile and gets harder until the top where it gets ridiculous. I haven’t been up that in years but it’s on my to do list. We did it all the time in high school and after... Strange though, I’ve never descended it. No one does. It goes through the middle of a golf course so all kinds of things can appear entering the roadway... I can’t imagine descending any distance of a grade like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I ride on a mountain which has pitches of 15-19% for .5 miles undulating, through a town, you either are letting it go or solid braking. When it gets like that, drag braking is off the table. I go up/down. The rest is at 7% with some straights, so you just let it roll, it cools the brakes. Most will not follow me down, death awaits over the edge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts