Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

The brand of crank makes no difference. As for the FD, there are mixed opinions on how well a standard Campy FD works with a compact. Some people have no problems and others do. Campy no longer offers different models and changed to a single CT/STD derailleur for 2008. It shifts a compact just fine.

As for the shifters, I would not choose the Centaur shifters, if they are '07 or newer. The escape mechanism has limited FD control.

The QS feature merely causes the finger lever to engage the cable sooner, so there is less dead travel. If has no effect on the FD operation. A QS front derailleur has a slightly longer lever arm which makes it easier to operate, but requires one more click to cover the full range of travel.

·
Registered
579 Posts
regarding a standard FD and a compact crank...i find the standard FD to work better than the compact version. perhaps there's something i'm doing differently with the CT FD, but from Centaur up to Record, the STD FD just work more effectively for me with CT cranks.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
In the name of everything that is holy, no.

It'll work fine, but just no.

I have Centaur shifters pulling a Shimano FD over an FSA compact crank, so some might say I'm being a bit hypocritical. Works fine, FWIW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.