Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I have a Campagnolo Ergobrain computer on my bicycle and the setup currently has
two magnets, one for the front to pick up speed and one for the rear to pick up
cadence.

Here is my question:
Since I am still riding the bicycle on the trainer, the speed shows up as 0mph. Can I
move the pick up magnet from the front fork to the rear chainstays in order to have a
speed reading? Is the standard cable long enough to run from the computer to the
back chainstay? I know I will also need another clamp to secure the pickup unit.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a different approach to this?

Many thanks,
Dimitri

·
all the gear - no idea
267 Posts
All you'll need is to get another cadence cable to enable you to run the speed sensor on the rear wheel - everything else should work, you just need that longer cable.

FWIW I'd then leave that setup as it is, even when you're not riding the turbo

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
forget it...

Speed on a trainer is totally meaningless. The only thing important that is really important is power output. If your trainer has too little resistance, you can ride at a world record speed for an hour.

·
all the gear - no idea
267 Posts
true but...

training on a turbo may really only require cadence, heart rate and level of resistance or power input to provide meaningful training info, but some computers don't work when one or other input is not present.

I don't have an ergobrain, but my cateye astrale 8 won't work properly unless it is getting both speed and cadence data input - or maybe it's just me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts