Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Been riding a nice Cannondale CAAD 8 with Shimano 105 groupset for 2-3 yrs and wanted to see what the Dark/Light side was like so bought myself a pair of secondhand Campagnolo Chorus Ergo levers (9 speed newer type) and a Jtek shiftmate.
So far I like the feel/shape of the hoods and am pretty impressed with the shifting ability of the Jtek device (longer period needed to give accurate feedback), but the braking performance of the Ergo levers and the Shimano 105 calipers is rubbish compared with my 105 Sti's and 105 calipers.

Can you tell me if there is an issue with this combination, i.e different amount of cable pull or just that Campagnolo and Shimano lever/caliper combos work in different ways.

Any advice much appreciated

:14: :14: :14:

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Shouldn't be any issue if you get them adjusted right. Cable pull is the same for all road brakes.

What kind of problem are you seeing?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to have to apply a lot more force to slow the bike down.
Particularly noticeable on the hoods.
I've taken the cables out and blasted everything with GT85 but I still wouldn't feel comfortble having to brake hard on a steep descent.

:confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
GoodWine said:
I seem to have to apply a lot more force to slow the bike down.
Particularly noticeable on the hoods.
I've taken the cables out and blasted everything with GT85 but I still wouldn't feel comfortble having to brake hard on a steep descent.

:confused5: :confused5: :confused5:
Are your brake levers in the "open" position or the "engaged" position? you do know that Campagnolo has release tabs on the levers, right?

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
My Bianchi has 8 speed Chorus Ergos and 7400 dual pivot calipers. Works great.
I hate calipers without quick releases.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. I must put my hands up and confess to incompetence.

When converting my setup from Shimano 105 Sti's to Campag Chorus Ergolevers, I changed the Gear outer cable as well as the inner cable but decided to reuse the Brake outer cable because it was relatively new and long enough. However I left it too long and had the Outer cable twitching whenever I pulled on the brake. My friendly LBS mechanic pointed it out when I went to buy new Outer cable. Didn't buy any cable but bought the guy a beer instead.

:aureola: :aureola: :aureola:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.