Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems Campagnolo doesn't make triple Ergo shifters anymore, does anyone know if the new shifters work with triple cranksets? From what I understand, the shifting is ratchet friction, so ideally it should be compatible with most front derailleur.

This is for a touring setup. I'm planning on using Shimano Deore FD with Deore LX triple crankset.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I can't vouch for the new ergo but the older ones do just fine. Why don't you use campy triple gear, or shimano shifters? Just stuff you have on hand or what?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
mrbubbles said:
It seems Campagnolo doesn't make triple Ergo shifters anymore, does anyone know if the new shifters work with triple cranksets? From what I understand, the shifting is ratchet friction, so ideally it should be compatible with most front derailleur.

This is for a touring setup. I'm planning on using Shimano Deore FD with Deore LX triple crankset.
Campy front shifters are not indexed - more like a ratcheted friction shifter - so they will shift anything as long as they have the total cable pull required. - TF

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
New Centaur Ergo 10 shifter set (non-QS) for $149.95 at ICYCLESUSA.com

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is no such thing as a specific Campy Ergo Triple. Because Campy front shifters are not indexed, they will all work on either double or triple front cranksets (they pull enough cable for either).

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
more info...

Having run Campy triples for 5 seasons, I can assure that Campy shifters will all operate a triple FD, but I would avoid the 2007 and later Centaur and lower level shifters with the escape mechanism. If does not work the same as Chorus or Record level shifters. That will change once again in 2009, when Centaur return to the non-escape mechanism.

The non-escape shifters have 12 clicks available on the left ergo lever. To operate a Campy triple FD its takes 7 clicks. The maximum number of clicks with a single sweep of the finger lever is 5. It takes all five to shift from the little ring to the middle ring with a Campy triple FD. After that, it also requires at least 1 click on the thumb button to recenter the FD cage. Unlike some Shimano shifters, there is no built in over-travel and return to center function.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C-40 said:
That will change once again in 2009, when Centaur return to the non-escape mechanism.
What about Veloce 2009?

C-40 said:
The non-escape shifters have 12 clicks available on the left ergo lever. To operate a Campy triple FD its takes 7 clicks. The maximum number of clicks with a single sweep of the finger lever is 5. It takes all five to shift from the little ring to the middle ring with a Campy triple FD. After that, it also requires at least 1 click on the thumb button to recenter the FD cage. Unlike some Shimano shifters, there is no built in over-travel and return to center function.
Good to know.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Does anyone know (C40?) if the new 11-speed levers are likely to be compatible with a triple front derailleur? It's really unclear - to me at least - just what if anything they've done with the front shifter. Maybe the older cam could be retrofitted anyway?

Sure, I know Campy won't be offering a matching crankset, but that shouldn't be a problem for me, and the extra cog would let me have my cake and eat it too on randonnees.

I'm thinking that 10 speed spaced rings should shift fine and if not I have a set of cranks which could have the spider machined down to narrow the spacing. The 10 speed front derailleur should work, and a medium cage rear should at worst need new, thinner jockey wheels.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

I've got some info from campy that says the new shifter will operate a 2008 QS FD, but it requires one more click to cover the full range (5 instead of 4). That would say that the cable pull, per click has been reduced. A triple FD requires 7 clicks from the older shifters, so it may require 8-9 clicks from the new shifters. Current shifters have 12 clicks. The 11 speed shifters might operate a triple FD, but the little ring to middle ring shift might require more than one sweep of the lever, since it currently requires the maxium 5-click single sweep of the finger lever.

The bigger problem with trying to create an 11 speed triple may be the thickness of the chainring teeth, which will be thinner. How much thinner is not yet known to me. I do know that the current clearance between the chain and the teeth is only .013 inch. If the distance between the inner plates of the 5.5mm chain becomes much narrower, then 10 speed rings might need to be thinned.

The other problem is the RD's are not compatible and there won't be an 11 speed RD with enough wrap capacity to handle a triple. At some point, J-tek might have a shiftmate to correct the difference in cable pull between the old and new RDs. It's also possible that the difference in cable pull ratio will be negligible. Campy made a similar change in 2001, but some people still found that 9 speed RDs would shift adequately with the newer 10 speed shifters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks C40!

Next question: do you know if the 11-speed shifters have basically the same guts as 10 speed? If so, it ought to be possible to retrofit a different front cam and get more cable travel. (I guess we have to wait for the spare part PDFs to appear on Campy's website before it's possible to tell all that much.)

Chainrings could be machined if required, so no problem there.

I expect there will be a way around the RD problem; for instance, it might be possible to fit 10-speed cage plates to the 11 speed derailleur. However, it might well be that all will be well with the standard 11 speed derailleur. I've used short cage derailleurs with (Shimano) triples in the past, and it seems as if the new Campy will have a relatively long-ish cage as it's meant to work with 50x34 + 12-27 (31T overall). Of course, all the gears might not work, but that's a non-issue.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

There is not supposed to be any cross compatibility between 11 and 10 speed shifters. Whenever I get 11 speed shifters, I'll measure the cable pull for each click and post a report.

I can tell you that 7 clicks on a current left shifter releases .600 inch of cable, so that's what you'll need to operate a triple FD.

I have no info on the RD wrap capacity, but I will be surprised if more than one cage length is offered. The cage length will need to provide the 31T wrap, as you noted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.