Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to purchase a wheelset for my 2008 R3 im kinda narrowed it down to this two... and i cant make the decision as to which would be a better wheelset for me. Im looking for an everyday wheelset, training and group rides .. no racing for now.... let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i'd buy neutron ultra's over eurus as an everyday training and group ride wheel set.

More comfortable - if you break a spoke easier/cheaper to replace, easier to true wheel as no big gaps between spokes etc.

They both run excellent loose ball hubs. Good Luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Neutron for climbing/rough roads....

The Neutron is better suited for climbing and rough roads; it is low profile both F & R and as such will have less rotational mass than high profile rims, the steel spokes on the Neutron will be more compliant on bad road surfaces.
The Eurus has a 28mm rear rim; a bit more aero and better suited for flatter riding and sprinting.....good if you are a powerhouse looking for a stiff rear wheel; the aluminum spokes and G3 pattern also stiffen the rear wheel. The Eurus front wheel has a 24mm front rim designed to trade off between rotational mass and aero properties.
The Neutron Ultra(1470) is fairly close in weight to the1490g Eurus (same F, -20gR) The std.Neutron(1550)
is +30gF, +30R......IMO the std Neutron is the best value in any factory wheel.
I would recommend the Neutron unless having a super stiff rear wheel is a priority (i.e. you are big and powerful)......I think Tom Boonen won Paris Roubaix one year on Neutron tubulars.....that boy can sprint!

.....good points from haydos as well.

G

·
haydos said:
i'd buy neutron ultra's over eurus as an everyday training and group ride wheel set.

More comfortable - if you break a spoke easier/cheaper to replace, easier to true wheel as no big gaps between spokes etc.

They both run excellent loose ball hubs. Good Luck!

I have a set of Eurus wheels right now and I would agree with this. I enjoy riding them and use them in races pretty often but they are a tad stiffer than I like for everyday wheels.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
A Buddy of mine has a set of Neutron's that are probably 10 years old w/ who knows how many miles. They are laser true. What an incredible set of wheels. I really like my Reynolds wheels, but I am kind of wishing I would have picked up a set of Neutron's.

I'm not a fan of bladed spokes, personally - they seem to exacerbate crosswind handling issues.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
everyone covered it well.... altho bit pointless quoting campag for weights, they are way off... claimed zonda 08 in black by campy = 1610g, i weighed it meself @ 1695g. skewers = 116g. scale not off, other campag parts on the dot pretty much as per usual, just not wheels. (big shock)...

i appreciate the support for neutron, but if ever there was the custom call this is it. The neutron is NOT aero, still low spoke so heavy rims cf high end shallow rims, and probably 1600g+.

u can crush this with record hubs+ OP+ choice of spokes. On the upside, it can be lighter than 1600g, but u gain easy and cheap to replace spokes, and u can replace an OP rim pretty cheaply, with campag u are stuffed. As you say, its just training, but u can pile on the kms with these, neutrons offer no advantage really. At least wheels like eurus test very stiff and quite aero in class despite drawbacks in parts sourcing and cost. Also consider for 09 eurus has 2 way fit for fully factory supported tubeless setup with hutchinson fusion tubeless tires.
JMO.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sokudo said:
That has to be Easton EA90 SL, no?
I have a set of Orion II's as my rainy day/backup set. They're great wheels and used to be my primary set, but I think the Neutrons are nicer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
wankski said:
everyone covered it well.... altho bit pointless quoting campag for weights, they are way off... claimed zonda 08 in black by campy = 1610g, i weighed it meself @ 1695g. skewers = 116g. scale not off, other campag parts on the dot pretty much as per usual, just not wheels. (big shock)...

i appreciate the support for neutron, but if ever there was the custom call this is it. The neutron is NOT aero, still low spoke so heavy rims cf high end shallow rims, and probably 1600g+.

u can crush this with record hubs+ OP+ choice of spokes. On the upside, it can be lighter than 1600g, but u gain easy and cheap to replace spokes, and u can replace an OP rim pretty cheaply, with campag u are stuffed. As you say, its just training, but u can pile on the kms with these, neutrons offer no advantage really. At least wheels like eurus test very stiff and quite aero in class despite drawbacks in parts sourcing and cost. Also consider for 09 eurus has 2 way fit for fully factory supported tubeless setup with hutchinson fusion tubeless tires.
JMO.
Weight weenies shows + 2/3% on the few they tested......your Zondas' come in @ what looks like the older (1730 claimed; weight weenies:1698).....I am wondering if they sent you NOS and claimed '08......IF this is true, maybe they will swap you for '08's.....I'm sure you would be psyched to lose 100gr.!

Good points on the Neutron.....I had heard about clicking problems on the OP's and cracking on the DT rims.....I think these problems have been cleared up. I got my '03 Neutrons for $450 shipped; have put 35,000 mi on them, gotten several pinch flats from potholes and rocks and they are still perfect.......compared to Campy list prices custom is a better value for sure....

What is your preferred custom build on Record hubs to get closer to 1500gr.??

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
FWIW, a riding partner has been using Eurus for a couple years. He is heavy-ish (180-185 lbs ??), a strong sprinter, and a fast hill descender (45+ mph).

He tells me the Eurus have never broken a spoke, and have stayed true with at most some very minor tweaking.

At typical USA prices, these are pricey and hard to justify. But now, one can order a pair from UK retailers for about $650. Probably similar "good" pricing is available for the other Campy wheels.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
twelvepercent said:
Weight weenies shows + 2/3% on the few they tested......your Zondas' come in @ what looks like the older (1730 claimed; weight weenies:1698).....I am wondering if they sent you NOS and claimed '08......IF this is true, maybe they will swap you for '08's.....I'm sure you would be psyched to lose 100gr.!

Good points on the Neutron.....I had heard about clicking problems on the OP's and cracking on the DT rims.....I think these problems have been cleared up. I got my '03 Neutrons for $450 shipped; have put 35,000 mi on them, gotten several pinch flats from potholes and rocks and they are still perfect.......compared to Campy list prices custom is a better value for sure....

What is your preferred custom build on Record hubs to get closer to 1500gr.??
naw, they are def the 08 versions, 24/28mm, alloy hubs, bladed spokes etc etc, i know and love my campy wheels, but it is well known they are heavier than spec. Ventos/Scirroccos are actually >1850g rather than stated ~ 1750.... 100g is not a big deal, but one can build comparable, easier fixed wheels that are also lighter.

Right now i am building Zonda killers... I was gunna get them, but when the price went up + 1.7kg wheels, i figured i could do something repairable, lighter and more aero. Importantly they are not significantly aero and would drop only 100-150g over my current Ventos in the real world. (for a lighter/more aero build, think Nio rims + light hubs, can easily get into the 14XXg range....)

OP rims = 870g
Actual record hubset weight = 349g
Dt comp DS, revo elsewhere = ~ 352g
total = 1571g.

or around 30g less if you go all dt revo/sapim lazer/cx-ray.

now of course there are other options like the interesting 22mm Nio22 rim @ <390g ea actual. Drops more than 90g over the above. My fav thing is to combine the excellent, price competitive and light record rear, with a front hub in a lower count, lighter and just as good quality... think WI, Hope etc... with a Nio 22 one could go as low as 24h in the front and still have more spokes than the Neutron setup. It all depends on what you are actually looking for in a wheelset, outright durability with redundant spokes or lightweight etc...

check out more realistic weights of a limited number of wheels here: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15988284.html (actual test).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had a set of Campy Euros for three years. They have been fantastic. True as true can be with over 20,000 miles on them. I don't have firsthand hand expereince with the neutrons, so I have a one sided opinion. That said, the Campy's have been completely trouble free, I use them for both group rides and races. Unlike some others, I think they have handled perfectly on climbs and strong cross-winds.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Duke249 said:
I've been on Eurus for 5+ years and love 'em. Will never sell 'em.

I've had Neutrons for 3 months. They're going on Ebay this spring.

Don't the Eurus have a heavier rim than the Neutrons?

aren't the Neutron Ultras lighter than the originals?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
cmg said:
Don't the Eurus have a heavier rim than the Neutrons?

aren't the Neutron Ultras lighter than the originals?
i haven't taken a set apart, but most prebuilt wheels @ ~24mm tend to come in at around 470g per rim. That would make the rear eurus rim around 540g by my estimation, again congruent with other stout ~30mm rims out there (deep v, RR1.2).

just a guess... anyone with weights out there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with Eurus

I have a new set of Eurus 2-way fit wheels and am running Fusion tubeless tires. I'm very happy with the feel and performance of this setup. But I am not a racer, just an enthusiastic rider.

I spent a lot of time wrestling with the custom handbuilt vs factory wheels and after 2 sets of handbuilts I wasn't happy with, decided to go factory this time. Campy wheels really do have a great reputation and the Eurus wheelset has the most positive set of reviews I've seen. There just aren't very many people running Eurus that aren't happy with them (at least that I've been able to find). That combined with the new tubeless technology is why I went with them over the Neutrons. Even though the Eurus looks like a more high tech wheelset I kinda prefer the look of the Neutrons, and the more normal spoking pattern seemed to be a worthwhile design feature.

However the 2-way fit system, and the stellar reviews pushed me over to Eurus. As far as weight goes, my wheelset weighed 5 grams less than the weight published on Campy's website (and that is with all stickers and the valve stem in place, but without skewers).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just saw this thread

I just came across this posting. I am in a similar position like reefjockey as far as wheels go. Is there a reason Fulcrum's haven't been mentioned yet? I don't have a whole lot of knowledge in the wheel dept. but figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
122 Posts
To me, the Eurus are just plain fast. The hubs are absolutely silky smooth and I feel that matched to the aerodynamics of the rim and the overall stiffness of the wheel, its a combination that is very appealing.

I can still remember the first ride on them in 2002. Not many bicycle components have had that effect on me, but I recall how they transformed the ride quality in lateral stiffness and aerodynamics on the bicycle. At the time, I had switched from a pair of handbuilt 32 spoke Record/open pro wheels.

My current setup is to run them with Vittoria Open CX clinchers. I'm 6'2", 189#.

I'll go as far as to call them the perfect clincher wheelset. Stiff, light, aero, bombproof, awesome hubs. These wheels have it all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.