·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the conundrum.

Brand new Record 10 Chain

Brand new Record 10 chain rings

Brand new Record 10 cassette.

Everything is golden and it shifts like a champ, except under power the 12T skips on every pedal stroke. Been working on this for 4 hours and I am losing my mind.

Checked the limit screws- lines up perfectly.
Checked the torque on the cassette- exact.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to see which way it is jumping as I cannot duplicate the problem in the stand, only when I am putting the power down.

The chainline is smooth and direct with a small 1/16+- gap between the front derailleur.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At cruising speed there is no problem. Hard effort or standing and it is every pedal stroke with the right leg.

Bike is a Pinarello Paris. Not a lot of flex.

To answer an earlier question, it looks to jump slightly toward the 13t.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Don't rule out a defective part. It could be something as simple as a stiff chain link that will disappear with a little more use.

I assume that you know how to set the chain length properly, using the little/little method.

I also assume that you've tried some minor adjustment to the shift cable tension and/or the small cog limit screw.

I also assume that you're not using the little ring with the 12T cog when this happens. If so, then it's a chain-line issue.

The B screw only affects the clearance with the upper jockey pulley, when the chain is on the larger cogs.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
At cruising speed there is no problem. Hard effort or standing and it is every pedal stroke with the right leg.

Bike is a Pinarello Paris. Not a lot of flex.
Probably not but, if you get skipping only on one leg, there's definitely flexing involved.

I also assume that you're not using the little ring with the 12T cog when this happens. If so, then it's a chain-line issue.
Excellent point. According to the OP, we have the chain trying to move towards the inside. Might well be an issue of a borderline viable small-small gear combination. In that case the answer is simple: Don't do that. Regardless of anything else, you really should avoid hammering it in one of those extreme combinations (small-small or big-big). Things depend a lot on your specific geometry. On my Felt F1 (56cm) frame, fully crossed combinations work fine, on a different frame they may not. On the OP's frame, if that is the issue, the combination almost works, but not quite.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C-40 FTW!! LBS had a new Centaur cassette, I installed it and shazam! Problem solved.

Must be a defective part in some small way.

Thanks for all the input, I tried everything you recommended.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shift issue possibility

C-40 FTW!! LBS had a new Centaur cassette, I installed it and shazam! Problem solved.

Must be a defective part in some small way.

Thanks for all the input, I tried everything you recommended.
If you are not careful, it is possible to put the last cog on the cassette body incorrectly. This may be why the new cassette worked?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.