Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am today in awe of these wheels. I bought a pair about two years ago for my winter training bike and yesterday I completed the 260k Paris-Roubaix sportive in terrible conditions. Those cobbles are brutal and yet today the wheels are pretty much as good as new. And I paid £89 for them...!
 

·
classiquesklassieker
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
oldtrackie said:
I am today in awe of these wheels. I bought a pair about two years ago for my winter training bike and yesterday I completed the 260k Paris-Roubaix sportive in terrible conditions. Those cobbles are brutal and yet today the wheels are pretty much as good as new. And I paid £89 for them...!
Wow .... I have two pairs (one for road and one for cross), and I do like them and think that they are a great value. But I also find them quite harsh.

If you can finish the 260k Paris-Roubaix sportive and survive well enough to write a glowing review, then you must have a *** made from cast iron!! :-O

What tires did you run on them?

Congrats on finishing the sportive, sounds like an epic ride. Will there be a more thorough report or photo essay in the future?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess my *** may be made of cast iron - it doesn't seem to have suffered too much! Arms and fingers on the other hand are pretty knackered today. I had 25mm Conti 4 Seasons on the wheels - other guys had 28's but I rode a Colnago C40 and the larger tyre wouldn't fit.
I don't want to bore anyone with my story of the day, so very briefly it was without doubt the most epic and brutal ride of my life. All started fine, with the sections of cobble (which start at approx 100k into the ride) of course a body-jarring nightmare, but then the thunderstorm and torrential rain arrived and to be honest I was pretty terrified about the prospect of riding shiny wet muddy cobbles - some sections over 3k in length. I still don't know how, but I just rode them hard and stayed upright - I even started to enjoy myself through the pain. The sun came out for the final 30k, which somehow gave me enough energy and mental strength to finish strongly, even sprinting around the velodrome!
Anyway, thanks for your interest and I'd say to anyone out there if you haven't done it, do it - nothing like it in the world!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I keep threatening to replace mine, but I just can't justify it as they keep rolling. My front is starting to get a bit out of shape, I think the documented downfall to the G3 lacing for the front it a valid argument. That, and I swear the rear hub gets louder every time I ride them. It is LOUD! Aside from those issues, I have been extremely pleased, especially since I only paid $125 for them new from Nashbar...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
oldtrackie said:
Well I guess my *** may be made of cast iron - it doesn't seem to have suffered too much! Arms and fingers on the other hand are pretty knackered today. I had 25mm Conti 4 Seasons on the wheels - other guys had 28's but I rode a Colnago C40 and the larger tyre wouldn't fit.
I don't want to bore anyone with my story of the day, so very briefly it was without doubt the most epic and brutal ride of my life. All started fine, with the sections of cobble (which start at approx 100k into the ride) of course a body-jarring nightmare, but then the thunderstorm and torrential rain arrived and to be honest I was pretty terrified about the prospect of riding shiny wet muddy cobbles - some sections over 3k in length. I still don't know how, but I just rode them hard and stayed upright - I even started to enjoy myself through the pain. The sun came out for the final 30k, which somehow gave me enough energy and mental strength to finish strongly, even sprinting around the velodrome!
Anyway, thanks for your interest and I'd say to anyone out there if you haven't done it, do it - nothing like it in the world!
Forget the wheels, I am in awe of you, man!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
fastev said:
I keep threatening to replace mine, but I just can't justify it as they keep rolling. My front is starting to get a bit out of shape, I think the documented downfall to the G3 lacing for the front it a valid argument. That, and I swear the rear hub gets louder every time I ride them. It is LOUD! Aside from those issues, I have been extremely pleased, especially since I only paid $125 for them new from Nashbar...
I read somewhere that if you repack the rear cassette hub, pawls, with synthetic grease it really quiets things down.
 

·
classiquesklassieker
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
oldtrackie said:
Well I guess my *** may be made of cast iron - it doesn't seem to have suffered too much! Arms and fingers on the other hand are pretty knackered today. I had 25mm Conti 4 Seasons on the wheels - other guys had 28's but I rode a Colnago C40 and the larger tyre wouldn't fit.
I don't want to bore anyone with my story of the day, so very briefly it was without doubt the most epic and brutal ride of my life. All started fine, with the sections of cobble (which start at approx 100k into the ride) of course a body-jarring nightmare, but then the thunderstorm and torrential rain arrived and to be honest I was pretty terrified about the prospect of riding shiny wet muddy cobbles - some sections over 3k in length. I still don't know how, but I just rode them hard and stayed upright - I even started to enjoy myself through the pain. The sun came out for the final 30k, which somehow gave me enough energy and mental strength to finish strongly, even sprinting around the velodrome!
Anyway, thanks for your interest and I'd say to anyone out there if you haven't done it, do it - nothing like it in the world!
A C-40 on the paves of Paris-Roubaix, very appropriate!

Did you take any pictures of the event? Congrats on finishing the epic sportive!!
 

·
all the gear - no idea
Joined
·
268 Posts
khamsin brake judder

well done in Paris-Roubaix - well hard.

Don't want to hijack your thread but have you had any issues with front khamsins juddering under braking?

The price is excellent and they are tough wheels, the noisy rear hub is fine, but the juddering in front is a little off putting, at any speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

I've had no problems at all with the wheelset, in fact I've always been reassured by the quality/reliability of braking...coming from Lightweight Standard C's on my summer bike!

Here are a couple of photos from the day.
 

·
classiquesklassieker
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
oldtrackie said:
Thanks guys!

I've had no problems at all with the wheelset, in fact I've always been reassured by the quality/reliability of braking...coming from Lightweight Standard C's on my summer bike!

Here are a couple of photos from the day.
Those are BEAUTIFUL pictures: beautiful bike, beautiful groupset and wheels, ridden HARD the way they should be. Thanks for posting them!!
 

·
classiquesklassieker
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
charlieboy said:
well done in Paris-Roubaix - well hard.

Don't want to hijack your thread but have you had any issues with front khmasins juddering under braking?

The price is excellent and they are tough wheels, the noisy rear hub is fine, but the juddering in front is a little off putting, at any speed
Charlieboy, yes, I have noticed a bit of this uneven braking on old Campag brake pads. However, I switched brake pads to a new Campag set recently and it's much less now.

If it helps, I never notice this if I use a different bike with yellow Swisstop brake pads.

All the above observations are made on the same exact wheelset.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top