Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wyatt963
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Campagnolo Nucleon clincher front wheel on ebay, very good condition, spokes tensioned and trued. I have been very happy with its performance on the flats, but this weekend I did some mountains, and on some of the descents where I reached above 40 mph, I detected some noticeable flex that a little unnerving in the corners while trying to hold a line. My previous front wheel was a 32 spoke mavic open pro with a Campagnolo Chorus hubset, and it would track true through turns no matter what the speed. Now I do not believe myself to be that heavy of a rider a 160 pounds, and I am wondering if this is just the trade of for a lighter wheel. Has any one else had this experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Wyatt963 said:
I recently purchased a Campagnolo Nucleon clincher front wheel on ebay, very good condition, spokes tensioned and trued. I have been very happy with its performance on the flats, but this weekend I did some mountains, and on some of the descents where I reached above 40 mph, I detected some noticeable flex that a little unnerving in the corners while trying to hold a line. My previous front wheel was a 32 spoke mavic open pro with a Campagnolo Chorus hubset, and it would track true through turns no matter what the speed. Now I do not believe myself to be that heavy of a rider a 160 pounds, and I am wondering if this is just the trade of for a lighter wheel. Has any one else had this experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
hmmm, I have heard that the Nucleon/Proton/Neutron family of wheels were great all-around wheels. Lightweight, stiff, and comfortable. I would be very surprised if you could actually flex the front wheel enough to throw you off your line, but then again, I am no expert. Maybe some of our resident wheel experts like Ligero or Ergott will chime in. Maybe C-40, who has an abundance of good info might know something about it. Have you checked other things like skewer tension? Poor quality tire (sidewall, tread,etc?) New fork issues that coincided with the new install of the Nucleon front? Good luck finding the cause and keep us informed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have Protons with over 16k on them...

Love them to death. No lateral flex detectable by my 160lb person. I would check the spoke tensions to be sure they are spot-on. For perspective, my Proton provides much more cornering confidence than my Ksyrium Elites or my King/Open Pros.

As stated by the previous poster, tires will make a big difference. When I run my Conti Ultra Sports (off-season), cornering feels "slightly" sketchy. When I run GP4000s, Schwalbe Ultremos or ProRace 2s corning definitely feels confident.

A Nucleon (earlier Neutron) in perfect working order should corner on rails I would think based on my experiences with the Proton series.

·
wyatt963
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't detect any thing wrong with the spokes, or the skewer. I am how ever running a Continental Ultra Race, which does not seem to have the stiffest sidewalls, which is probably why it rides so smooth on rough roads. I haven't had this wheel for very long, and this is the only tire I have had on it so far. I will try switching to a different tire, and see if this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.