Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Campagnolo paying royalty to Shimano?

I went to LBS to get a couple of things and automatically the shop owner and I started to talk about shifters. And I heard this suprising news about Campy paying royalty to Shimano to use the shifter integrated into the brake lever(hence Ergo?) design. I've never heard of this. I thought Ergo design is totally different from STI. I'm a Shimano guy but I think this is BS. Can anyone comfirm this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all, I think you mean "royalty" rather than "loyalty". Second, I thought that ergo levers preceded STIs. I could be wrong about that, but I've never heard that rumor before and it doesn't quite sound right to me.

-tk

G

·
Don't know about the royalty aspect, but STI did precede Ergopower. STI was first used by Andy Hampsten in that late 80s race in Florida, the name of which escapes me. It made its full debut in 1990 in the pro peloton. I believe that ergopower didn't show up until 1992.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
I believe this is more LBS BS. Campy and Shimano have seperate designs, and there is nothing that would compel Campy to pay royalties to Shimano. Likewise, SRAM doesn't have to pay royalties to Shimano for it's brifter design.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
The most recent edition of Velonews (the 35 year anniversary issue) has an article about this. It mentions that when Campy released its ergo levers Shimano sued for patent infringement. Eventually Campy settled out of court for what the magazine says was a high price.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
The company now known as SRAM filed an anti-trust against shimaNo in the early nineties. Up to that time, shimaNo would only sell complete groups to bike manufacturers essentially shutting out all competition. Shimano settled and it opened the market for companies like Ritchey, SRAM (Sachs), Tektro etc. When shimano entered the market, it was essentially improving on the designs of mavic, sachs, and campy. Over the last twenty years, it has been fun watching the companies take turns catching up to each other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let the lawyers fight all they want. I agree that the competition is good for us, the consumers. I've used both Ultegra and Chorus and they are both really good. Neither makes me faster. There are things that I like better about each.

I have a preference for Campy, but it's just a preference. I was down the basement earlier tonight wishing my brake calipers were Shimano because they are so much easier to adjust.

Let 'um chase either other and good on Mavic and SRAM for getting into the game. It can only help us with prices, choice, et al.

:thumbsup:

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
How so? I work on Record, Chorus, DA, and Ultegra brakes on a regular basis, and cannot fathom the basis for your claim.
Because you can use the release to adjust them. :)

You don't do many group rides, do you?

TF

·
Registered
210 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Because you can use the release to adjust them. :)

You don't do many group rides, do you?

TF
I heard somebody tell that to a new person on a group ride late last year. She had just got her new Trek Pilot and she was asking what the lever was for. The guy told her it was for adjusting the brake pad clearence from the rims. When he walked off I told her what they were really for and she thanked me. I was shocked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
How so? I work on Record, Chorus, DA, and Ultegra brakes on a regular basis, and cannot fathom the basis for your claim.
Well, the release thing is nice for getting the wheel off for sure, but that's not what I was talking about. It's been a while since I've worked on Shimano, but I remember that being the one dip I took going to Campy.

I LOVE my Campy groupo, don't get me wrong and I build up and turned every bolt myself, don't get me wrong. It's just been a while.

-tk

·
Registered
695 Posts
The lever on the Shimano brake is cool if your wheel goes out of true or you break a spoke. You can just flip the lever and keep on riding. But you can pretty much do the same type of quick fix with Campy by pressing in the little button at the brake lever. You just have one brake lever sticking out until you get home. It's all good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It might be true when Shimano's patent was still good at that time. Shimano has now tons and tons of patents which is not good for us. I even heard Shimano has commercial interest at Campagnolo. Just like Specialized is partially owned by Merida. Merida does not sell its bikes in US and takes care of all Specialized frame (and possible more range of products) production in Asia. Great deal. Don't forget Merida is a Pro Tour Team bike sponsor. If they can sell bikes in US, it won't be very difficult.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
It might be true when Shimano's patent was still good at that time. Shimano has now tons and tons of patents which is not good for us. I even heard Shimano has commercial interest at Campagnolo. Just like Specialized is partially owned by Merida. Merida does not sell its bikes in US and takes care of all Specialized frame (and possible more range of products) production in Asia. Great deal. Don't forget Merida is a Pro Tour Team bike sponsor. If they can sell bikes in US, it won't be very difficult.
Why are you repeatedly responding to posts that are over a decade old? This is the third one today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts