Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had an issue with a Campy ergolever right out of the box?

Tonight i tried to install a left (front derailleur) Campagnolo post 2015 11 Speed Record lever and when I tried to feed the cable up from the bottom through the hole into the end of the ratchet wheel and then through the top of the lever it was VERY rough right out of the gate! Too rough to even use. First time using this brand new lever. No crimps in cable. Seems like lever is bad.

As far as I can tell the ratchet wheel hole that holds the end of the cable doesn't seem to be lined up with the hole in the lever where the cable exits!

Unless I am missing something? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help in advance.

Nik

IMG_6443.jpg

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,868 Posts
I'm assuming by top of the lever you mean the yellow plastic Y channel piece that allows two ways to route the cables on the bars? You can try removing that piece and seeing where the wire is catching. Sometimes the Y piece gets wedged incorrectly and will cause friction.

My guess is you're trying to run the shifter cable through the brake cable exit.

From https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/workshop/workshop-how-to-fit-campagnolo-ergo-levers/

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming by top of the lever you mean the yellow plastic Y channel piece that allows two ways to route the cables on the bars? You can try removing that piece and seeing where the wire is catching. Sometimes the Y piece gets wedged incorrectly and will cause friction.

My guess is you're trying to run the shifter cable through the brake cable exit.

----
Thanks for your quick response Dr.

The newest version of 11 speed doesn't have the familiar removable yellow Y piece that the older levers had. Now there's a permanent, i.e. not removable, black y piece. I am running the cable via the outer most routing. I feel like it might be an incorrectly glued y piece--and now since they're not removable, I can't rule that out as the cause.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,868 Posts
I can assure you the black piece is removable for all 11 and 12 speed. I use a very small Allen wrench. I took some pics for you!

Please note the cable wheel orientation in the first picture, it is imperative that the thumb lever is depressed for all clicks before threading in the cable.

Attachments

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,868 Posts
I should add that I do remember it is possible to reassemble the internals of the lever incorrectly so that cable wheel doesn't line up properly. But you said it's a new lever so that shouldn't be the issue.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,987 Posts
OMG! A defective Campy product? Say it isn't so! :yikes:

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,868 Posts
OMG! A defective Campy product? Say it isn't so! :yikes:
I have a hard time seeing how this could be defective. I believe the shifter cables come preinstalled on Record levers, so maybe the cable was inserted incorrectly at the factory (unlikely?). There is really nowhere where the cable path could be obstructed except for at that Y piece.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just curious if you tried shifting through the mechanism without the cable and see how it felt?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8705F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Agree with a previous poster. Make sure you've depressed the thumb paddle all the clicks, per instructions, before threading the cable. A few years ago in my haste I neglected to do this and I experienced what you describe.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr.

Thanks again.

You're right! On my shifter the black bit did not dislodge easily however, I poked it out as you suggested with tiny Alan key and it dislodged.

I'm not sure if I did anything because all I did was unseat the Y thingy and re-seat however it appears to work.

Anyway, much kudos for you photos.

PS: my bad should have kept my mouth shut since I never worked on post 2015 Campy before!

PPs photos my shifter attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny that you mention that because it was a bit grabby/dragging. I attributed that to the levers just being pre-break in period like the old 10 speeds levers.

Seems to be working now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts