Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing the springs of my Campy Record rear derailleur springs and wondering if anyone has done it.
I bought a used one and it's kind of loose at the high gear position (towards outside) and won't shift well no matter what other adjustments I make. It stays tights and shifts well in low gear positions (towards the wheel) so my guess is the weakened spring/s.

My question is, there are 2 springs shown in the image below but there is another spring not shown at the underside of the carbon body (has the letter Record). Isn't that spring also replaceable?

Product Circle Bicycle part Machine Fastener

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
campy calls the one you can't see behind the front plate the gear return spring.

the long one is the cage tension spring.

when overhauling these, i leave the gear return spring in place but clean it well with a light spray oil.

but the tension spring is removed and fully overhauled.

the tension spring is only removed from a derailleur if the stop pin (aka, grub screw) can be removed, so the cage can be unwound before disassembly.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing the springs of my Campy Record rear derailleur springs and wondering if anyone has done it.
I bought a used one and it's kind of loose at the high gear position (towards outside) and won't shift well no matter what other adjustments I make. It stays tights and shifts well in low gear positions (towards the wheel) so my guess is the weakened spring/s.

My question is, there are 2 springs shown in the image below but there is another spring not shown at the underside of the carbon body (has the letter Record). Isn't that spring also replaceable?
It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you need to replace the springs. Clean and lube is a much more likely solution. Spring steel does not "wear out" unless it is seriously stressed and it's hard to imagine how this could happen in a Campy derailleur.

I would look at your setup - cables, casings, shifters, derailleur all probably could do with a clean and lube and attention paid to the details of settings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No it isn't
Both the rear pivot points have rivets.
Of course it's possible to drill them out but if you do, you're basically ruining your deralleur, because these are precsion made hardened steel ones and you won't find bolts etc, to replace them.
Derailleur will be junk in short time.
Just clean in degreaser and lubricate with oil on the pivot points, move do let the oil in.
Your problem is most likely cable related.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. It turns out the springs are fine. The culprit was upper jockey wheel. It was worn out to the point of significant side to side movement. I just replaced it (& lower jockey wheel) with new and it's all good now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts