Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I installed one . There is a small gap ( about 1 MM ) where the adjusting cap and the (top) frame race meet . Everything works fine, but I have a feeling these should be meeting flush .. Please advise to what I may have done wrong or is the gap normal. Thanks for any help

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
raymonda said:
Check to see if you have the upper bearings in upside down.

BTW, that bike looks like it is going to be killer and it is in my size! Please post some pics when you sre done.

Ray

It's not 100% done yet . I should have my selle regal and colnago ti seatpost in the mail monday .. will post when complete. Also going with gum walled tires . Either veloflex or vittoria

How do you know it's your size ??

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
11,555 Posts
??

PinarelloFan said:
It's odd , if I take out the plastic part of the centering wring , it fits perfect with no play and is centered .. Do I need the plastic part of the centering wring ??
Huh? You may want to start over. Use the Campy instructions I posted and you can't go wrong.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
The tolerence looks to be about 1.5mm, not .6 (+-.3).

I have installed this headset on three differant bikes and can tell you that this is not within specification. Water and dirt can easily get into where the bearings are at. The .6 refers to where the cup lips meet not an open space, which of obviously should never touch. If they did the headset would bind up.

Again, did you check to see if you have the correct upper bearing placement? This looks to be what happens when the bearings are put in upside down.

BTW, your bike is gorgous!

Ray

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Did you make sure that you have the upper bearings in the upper race and the lower bearings in the lower race? Campy headsets sometimes have slightly oversized lower bearings and putting the wrong bearings in the wrong race would be easy to do. Been there, done that. The end result is a big gap in the upper race and a gritty feeling when turning the handlebars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.