Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am looking for some faster wheels than what I have now (Campy Protons). I want wheels that are fast enough for racing (I'm doing IM Lake Placid next week), but can stand up to everyday riding in good weather. I had been thinking about carbon wheels like the Zipp 404 and the carbon Neuvations, but I have friends whose rear wheels both broke with a pothole hit. There goes carbon for me... I'm looking at the Shamal Ultras. Has anyone ridden these (clinchers)? Does anyone have other recommendations? I will need a Campy freehub. Thank you very much, Andy

·
Registered
100 Posts
well you see, one man have campy bora and campy shamals so he said that shamal are better for training, becouse our roads are not so good for them, boras are ofcourse faster wheels, and are better maybe for competitions, so i should go on shamals..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Shamals have been great

I've have been riding the Shamal clinchers since December without any problems - they have stayed true and have not required any hub adjustment, unlike my Mavic ES. I think they offer a pretty good weight savings over the Proton at 1395 g advertised - I think they came out to 1540 with skewers. The G3 lacing in the back seems to work as far as trueness, and they are stiff enough for me (I'm about 160 lbs). They are not going to be super aero with the 24 mm front/28mm rear profile.

They seem like really fast wheels, but I will also add that, on the LBS's recommendations, I had ceramic bearings put in. I rode the wheels pre- and post-ceramics, and I noticed the difference freewheeling for sure (coasting or going downhill) - I will not attest to improved performance while pedaling lest this thread turns into yet another arguement on the benefits of ceramics.

An interesting consideration would be to wait for the 09 Shamals that will be tubeless compatible.

Good luck - if you can live with the shallower rim profile and price, I don't think you can go wrong with these wheels.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. So the ceramics really made a noticeable difference? I'll keep that in mind whatever I decide upon. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Shamals or some alloy Neuvations. Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Shamals. They have been excellent. I'm 190 and the roads here are terrible. I put in ceramics too, from new, so can't comment on before and after but they feel sweet. On big European sportive downhills no-one passes me. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
hey i'm pro campy, but given ur stated aim, u'll be dissappointed... shamals wont be faster than protons... lighter, blingier, newer, $$$ sure... not significantly faster...

IM huh? depending on ur weight, might like to check out something like the easton ea90 TT.... 32mm profile... if ur not a WW or u are a heavier rider, the ec70 sl can be had for around the same $$ or less than shamals... 38mm carb/alu rims... pretty strong tho in a 18/24 setup...

aside from that if u dont want carbon... custom seems a solid bet... 600ish would get u into lightish 30mm alu rims and ur choice of hubs (eg, WI) and cx-rays... easy and cheap to fix too unlike campy...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've ridden the Shamals and they are fantastic wheels for their profile. Very stiff and great internals. However, having done the bike leg of an IM in a team in well under 5 hours, I'd say their not great for that. I used some Mavic Cosmic Carbones. Unless you are absolutely deadset against carbon, these are great and you can use them everyday. Good crash replacement policy too.

EA90s would be ok too. Something custom with 30-40mm rims and Sapim spokes are value for money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.