Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I heard it was possible to attach campag 10 speed shifters to my 16 speed specialized allez. Is this actually possible because i really need to change the sora shifters that I currently have.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
wow, this is a hard one - C40??

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Yes, it is possible. However, you'll need to replace nearly everything on the bike to make it work.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
come on people, pls help this guy

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
jtek makes shiftmate ratio-adapters (a pair of pulleys on a common shaft, one on the shift side and one on the derailleur side) that will mate a 10 speed Campagnolo shifter to a Shimano derailleur and 10 speed cassette.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

IIRC Campagnolo 10 speed shifter pull varies with the positions so it may not work as well as Campagnolo shifter + Campagnolo cassette but I couldn't speak to how sub-optimal it is.

If you do go one of the Campagnolo routes, British prices on Campagnolo brifters are a lot better than American.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,443 Posts
this question is wayyyy to vague. what kind of parts are on the bike now? it's an 8 speed rr end? give us some more info and you'll get an answer pretty quick.

brand
model
year

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Drew Eckhardt said:
jtek makes shiftmate ratio-adapters (a pair of pulleys on a common shaft, one on the shift side and one on the derailleur side) that will mate a 10 speed Campagnolo shifter to a Shimano derailleur and 10 speed cassette.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

IIRC Campagnolo 10 speed shifter pull varies with the positions so it may not work as well as Campagnolo shifter + Campagnolo cassette but I couldn't speak to how sub-optimal it is.

If you do go one of the Campagnolo routes, British prices on Campagnolo brifters are a lot better than American.
You're right that the pull varies with position. However, for a long time many people ran a Campy 10sp drivetrain with Shimano 9sp wheels and cassettes: they adjust the limit screw to saturate the last gear movement. Not sure how this would work with Shimano 8sp: do you saturate one gear movement at each end or two movements at one end, and which one?

The OP needs to better describe the desired setup.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Saturate? What on earth does that mean?

Did you possibly mean "suppress"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, the bike is a 2009 specialized allez double with all shimano sora components.
cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
My CX bike has an all shimano drivetrain except for campy 10s shifters. The cassette is 9s . The gear cable needs to be routed to the pinch bolt on the rear deraileur in a slightly different fashion to correct for the variation in cable pull per shift-do a google search for 'hubbub' -there is a web page documenting the simple modification required.

So, for the OP, yes it can be made to work. You would need a new 9s shimano cassette +chain for your bike, plus the 10s campy brifters. The bike I have set up this way shifts very well-at least as well as my all campy 10s road bike.

The other option is the Jtek shiftmate-I'm not certain if they make a 10s campy to 8s shimano version.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bridgestone said:
This is the right source. The sprocket pitch (explained in the link) of Shim 8 and Campy 10 are nearly the same - off by .01 mm. I've been running 10 speed Campy shifters, Dura-Ace 7800 everything else aside from a cheapy Sram 8 speed cassette and it all works wonderfully. When I did have full 7800 Shimano, I was always shifting 2 gears at a time. Now, I get to the gear I need with 1 click. Much better, in my opinion.

So yes, to the OP. You could even slap on a triple and it would still work with Campy 10 speed (as long as it's not QS).

Make sure to get the Campy specific cables to recable everything.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not quite...

mitmoned said:
This is the right source. The sprocket pitch (explained in the link) of Shim 8 and Campy 10 are nearly the same - off by .01 mm. I've been running 10 speed Campy shifters, Dura-Ace 7800 everything else aside from a cheapy Sram 8 speed cassette and it all works wonderfully. When I did have full 7800 Shimano, I was always shifting 2 gears at a time. Now, I get to the gear I need with 1 click. Much better, in my opinion.

So yes, to the OP. You could even slap on a triple and it would still work with Campy 10 speed (as long as it's not QS).

Make sure to get the Campy specific cables to recable everything.
By sprocket pitch, I suppose you mean sprocket spacing? That is not the similar at all. It's just coincidental that the cable pull used by Shimano 8 is about the same as Campy 10, so 7 clicks of a Campy shifter will come close to operating a Shimano 8 drivetrain, if you use the right 7 clicks. Campy shifters pull 2.5mm of cable four times 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. Not using either of the last two clicks might not work the best.

QS has nothing to do with the the compatibility issue, since the change to the shifter only eliminates some dead travel from the left finger lever.

·
Registered
94 Posts
C-40 said:
By sprocket pitch, I suppose you mean sprocket spacing? That is not the similar at all. It's just coincidental that the cable pull used by Shimano 8 is about the same as Campy 10, so 7 clicks of a Campy shifter will come close to operating a Shimano 8 drivetrain, if you use the right 7 clicks. Campy shifters pull 2.5mm of cable four times 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. Not using either of the last two clicks might not work the best.

QS has nothing to do with the the compatibility issue, since the change to the shifter only eliminates some dead travel from the left finger lever.
Way more info than I originally knew. Thanks!

By sprocket pitch, I meant how much the shifter moves the rear derailleur, which would be hard to measure well being that the top pully has wiggle room. At least that's what I got from the Shimergo link that was posted.

I had no idea that Campy shifters move the cable at various lengths. I guess that makes sense if I remember how the spacing on the shifter internal looks - the notches being different and all.

I also have to admit that I don't know QS very well. I just figured that since the left shifter wasn't micro-ratchting, that it had to be either double or triple, like Shimano setups. But I never paid much attention to them since I was content with my '07 Chorus stuff. Thanks again for the correction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts