Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Got my hands on a pair of Campag Vento 2010 wheelset.No assymetric rim.Lightly used,smooth bearings.
I faced a pretty weird thing.When i push the right pedal a bit harder the rear rim deflects to the left,rubbing against the pad and tilting the brake caliper.
Also if grab the rim near the brake bridge and try to move it sideways,it gives in with ease.

Tried to find some loose spoke,in fact the left ones are quite loose from the pitch sound they make,but nevertheless every spoke on the wheel was "jammed" or threadlocked,so it couldn't came loose with use.

Any comments?Am i missing smthng?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello to all,

Got my hands on a pair of Campag Vento 2010 wheelset.No assymetric rim.Lightly used,smooth bearings.
I faced a pretty weird thing.When i push the right pedal a bit harder the rear rim deflects to the left,rubbing against the pad and tilting the brake caliper.
Also if grab the rim near the brake bridge and try to move it sideways,it gives in with ease.

Tried to find some loose spoke,in fact the left ones are quite loose from the pitch sound they make,but nevertheless every spoke on the wheel was "jammed" or threadlocked,so it couldn't came loose with use.

Any comments?Am i missing smthng?

The most immedaite things to check are:
  • Bearing float (make sure there is no side-play in the axle)
  • That the two end nuts on the axle are fully tighteed against each other.
  • That the QR is correctly done up, using the cam action, not using the handle end like a wing nut.

If none of these show a result, have a really careful look around the rear dropouts and ensure that there is evidence of any movement in that part of the frame.

Spokes will not loose tension to any great degree but these are pretty old wheels that you have presumably bought pre-used. It's impossible to know the history, or if someone has changed the spoke tensions at some point in the past so provided that none of the basic mechanical checks above give you a result, then take the wheels to a campagnolo ProShop who is familiar with the construction, truing and tensioning og a G3 wheel and ask them to inspect and rectify any spoke-related problem they find with the wheel.

HTH
Graeme
Campagnolo main UK Service Centre

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In fact are bought used,they have some marks from chain fall,which scratched flat some spokes.Also the owner said he changed the freehub bearings,but not the hub's which seems odd to the pressumable 2000km max he said they have.Much likely the mechanic put and a wheel truing in the mix.

I took apart everything there,and put them back together.Didnt find smthng odd but a proffesional eye will tell.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
If I read correctly, the wheel flexes as opposed to when you pedal it pulls against the chainstay and sticks there. If that happens the quick release needs to be tighter, probably lubed first though.

Otherwise I would work on those spoke nipples, detension the whole wheel and re-true and tension.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,the wheel flexed -not sliping- and touched the brake shoe,displacing the caliper.Initialy i thought that the caliper itself had the problem,then i realised what happened from the light squeaqing noise -cause i recently cleaned the rims with hankies and squeeked-

Although i put some degreaser to the nipples,soaked and i tensioned evenly each one by the sound.

Conlcusions:
G3 lacing seems easier to true
Non drive spokes have way way less tension -at least on non asymetric rims like this- as if the whole wheel is held by the drive side spokes.

The problem seems to be gone.After a quick 50km ride i havent heard any noise nor the calieper moved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.