Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I'm new to this and need some advise. I've got a Willer GTR 2015 with a Athena Groupset. 11-28. 50-34T (think thats right)
As i live in surrey i wanted a 11-32 cassesste, so i've brought one from IRD which is campy compatible. Now i've been told that i might need a medium cage derailler, and i've no idea if that the case. If so which one? or can it not be done

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I know Surrey well.

There are 2 separate issues to be concerned about here:

1. Will the upper jockey clear the 32T cog sufficiently?

The answer is nothing to do with RD cage length. It is related to the frame and RD hanger dimensions, and it's one of those "try it and see" things. Your RD has an "H" screw which is backed out to increase clearance. I suggest installing the cassette and seeing if your current RD will clear in the small chainring and 32T cog combo.

2. If you can demonstrate that the RD will clear the cassette, then you have a choice on what to do next. If you stay with the short cage, check that the chain is long enough in the big-big combo. And get a new one if it isn't. A new chain is probably a good idea anyway. In this case, when in the small chainring you will find that the RD runs out of capacity and the chain goes slack as you approach the small cogs. It's not dangerous, just means that you cannot cross-chain as far.

If you want full use of the cassette in both rings, then you need a medium cage Athena RD, new chain for sure, and follow the instructions.

I reccomend KMC chains with a quick link. Also makes chain sizing easier.

Campagnolo installation instructions are all on their site.

I'm only seeing Athena in black in the long cage version. Athena 11x3 rear derailleur - Components Campagnolo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll get it checked out when it arrives. And post result... Does make me wonder why IRD sell a wide range campy compatible cassette.. What part of it is compatible...

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Thanks, I'll get it checked out when it arrives. And post result... Does make me wonder why IRD sell a wide range campy compatible cassette.. What part of it is compatible...
The splining is compatible.

With the 32T you are most likely OK, there are many reports of it working, but it is outside Campy's official range, because of the frame variances I mentioned.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
There is a medium cage available in Veloce. And in silver too. Although marked as "10-speed" the geometry is identical to the Athena.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
There is a medium cage available in Veloce. And in silver too. Although marked as "10-speed" the geometry is identical to the Athena.
I thought I read the new Potenza group offers a medium cage derailleur to work with Campy's new 32t cassette. Not sure when we will see those though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.