1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fun2none
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Rest in peace. And thanks to witness that followed driver.

"Let's see... I just plowed a guy on a bike and killed him. Nevermind that - I think I'll stop at Peet's for a cup o' Joe."

I really hope the CHP hasn't charged her yet because they're gathering evidence, and they charge her to the fullest extent of the law.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
Despicable behavior. I have ridden on San Tomas Expressway at lunch time. It's nearly deserted and certainly does not have the bumper to bumper chaos of the early morning traffic. You just can't avoid "stupid/careless," no matter how diligently you ride.

I have been nearly hit "walking" within the boundaries of the cross-walk (four way Stop sign) at Hwy84 and Canada Road, by either car and cyclist alike.

My condolences go out to the family of our fellow cyclist.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Do we have too many distractions and gadgets in our lives that we can't pay attention to the road when we are driving? Not a hard thing to ask of people, IMHO.

I think this driver is going to feel more sorry with her punishment than having to live with killing somebody. If she really felt bad, she would have stopped at the scene and offer assistance and face the consequences instead of running away.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Thanks.

Same ol' outcome as with many other bicycle deaths, and that's not to be taken lightly. It's ****ing ridiculous that taking someone's life comes with considerably less penalty. Wrongful death may it be, but she can't escape the statement "you killed someone, and left them to die at that". Hope she rots.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yeah - really pathetic. And how's this from the DA:

"There is no problem if you get in an accident and stay at the scene,'' assuming alcohol, drugs or other violation aren't involved, said Luis Ramos, the Santa Clara County supervising district attorney overseeing the case.
Really? She snuffed out some poor soul's life by crossing into the shoulder. "Whoopsie. My bad. Sorry you're dead." Sickening.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Thanks.

Same ol' outcome as with many other bicycle deaths, and that's not to be taken lightly. It's ****ing ridiculous that taking someone's life comes with considerably less penalty. Wrongful death may it be, but she can't escape the statement "you killed someone, and left them to die at that". Hope she rots.
Yeah - really pathetic. And how's this from the DA:

Really? She snuffed out some poor soul's life by crossing into the shoulder. "Whoopsie. My bad. Sorry you're dead." Sickening.
It is terrible. I can't believe she is only facing a maximum of 4 years in jail for killing somebody. Had she been careless with a gun and firing randomly around a populated area, would she be facing the same charge? Why should killing somebody with your vehicle be any different than a gun? We all know that vehicles kill and should be driven with care, just like using a weapon.

I truly believe until our laws change to reflect the seriousness of killing somebody with our vehicles, drivers won't change their attitudes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.