Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that is sold at Home Depot. Its rechargeble and a charge lasts a long time. The built in pressure gauge is accurate too. I took off the standard head and added a Silca pump head to mine.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Air compressor for my offfice?

Anybody recommend an air compressor for my office?

Electric
small
dependable
SOLID psi gauge.

I like to check my pressure often (multiple bikes) so a solid gauge would be mandatory.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
So...

RedRex said:
Anybody recommend an air compressor for my office?

Electric
small
dependable
SOLID psi gauge.

I like to check my pressure often (multiple bikes) so a solid gauge would be mandatory.

You dont like a good floor pump?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
the bull said:
You dont like a good floor pump?
Since someone else brought it up - why would you want a compressor? I see people with those things at rides and I have my tires pumped before they get the cord unwound. With a pump you give it 2 or 3 pumps and your done. - TF

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They come in handy sometimes.

I have a disk on my TT bike and you have to use a Silca adaptor that barely covers the valve. It won't stay on the stem unless someone hold it on. For me, at least, its a two person effort with a regular pump. With the compressor, I can do it alone. To each his own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
cdhbrad said:
I have a disk on my TT bike and you have to use a Silca adaptor that barely covers the valve. It won't stay on the stem unless someone hold it on. For me, at least, its a two person effort with a regular pump. With the compressor, I can do it alone. To each his own.
Yeah but, are we talking compressors with a tank?

I have a cheapo Job Mate compressor, 3gal and it cost less than $80cdn. I bought it for filling tubeless tires.

I have not found one of that sort that pumps much more than 90psi, even the ones rated for higher pressures don't seem to hit much more than 100.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine does not have a tank.

I don't recall how high the guage goes on mine, I stop at 120psi for road tires and 160 for tubular on the TT bike. Seems to be at least as accurate as the gauge on my floor pump when I give them the "pinch" test after filling. Who knows how accurate either really are.? I don't check them with a separate gauge as you lose a lot of pressure just checking on a presta valve.

G

·
I recently bought a compressor to use in my garage for pumping up tires. After humming and hawwing for weeks over whether I really needed it or if I could make do with a floor pump, I decided to go with a Campbell Hausfeld FP2052. It has a two gallon tank with a max pressure of 135psi.

It is awesome. I paired it with one of the United Bicycle presta inflators from biketoolsetc.com and I love it. Two seconds, I let it pump until it can't pump no mo', and I get a nice 125psi in my 22mm tubulars! I then use an external gauge to dial in the pressure to exactly what I want - which I always did with my floor pump.

I keep about ten new tubulars stretching on rims for the day that I need them. Pumping them up with this is a breeze. With the floor pump I would be huffing by the fifth one! I didn't have one of the big volume floor pumps ( tried one of the big volume two-stage blackburrn ones but it gave out quickly and died!).so I would really have to do a lot of stroking.

I say go for it. I got my C-H off ebay for $48. I have seen them retailed as high as $160.

You won't regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts